Braking Problem

and

Question

Sorry if this is long as a first post and hope it is in the rite place

Yesterday 7/11 i purchased a 2006 2.8 grand voyager all drove fine then after about 1hr red brake warning light came on as the car had been standing for a while i thought may be switch sticking but when i came to stop brakes worked great on 1st operation of pedal but on 2nd pedal went hard did stop but with no assist but when driven a while same again .THEN about 1hr after abs / traction off / lights came on but brakes did feel a bit better is this all related to one problem any help or thoughts will be great thanks 

Again sorry for the long post

16 answers to this question

I'd say to check the Vacuum hoses and pump. Not sure about the 2.8 but on my 2.5 Vac hose comes from pump to brake assist cylinder where it uses it as a supply tank. from there it goes to Turbo actuator via a solenoid valve. Could even be solenoid valve sticking and blowing off (yes should be (suckoff). Remember someone back having probs with this valve.

i am sure i replied yesterday if i did sorry i have ordered a solenoid valve but took it for a diagnostic yesterday on the way the abs light & traction light went out got it tested no fault codes were found or in the history on way back they came back on .drove about a mile this morning and lights went out went this afternoon lights back on any ideas cheers

Get a dScanner on it and it will :

- tell you in general if you have a speed sensor off

- clear your codes, replace the offending sensor

- [known "good starts] will switch off warning light

- [known "good starts] will remove "active" codes

- [known "good starts] will leave legacy codes intact

Best of luck

It's this loss of brake assist that you should worry about. As QinteQ says your probably better getting it scanned. I think there's two sides to this fault, either it's just temp vacuum loss and needs sorted. Or the ABS controller is not happy about something. Usually with these cars when brake warning light flashes up its the wheel sensor 90% of the time. Keep us posted..

Yes i agree but i must take some of the blame for not taking it further  but   i must bite the bullet he did say he had changed the servo as the brake pedal went hard every now and then but i will check further thanks again

Hi

sorry i know its been some time since you posted this but i wondered if you ever got to bottom of it? I have exactly the same problem just started.

driving along fine and press the brake pedal and all is well, then if i release the pedal and then press it again all the assist has gone and i have to stamp on the pedal to get even limited braking. but if i then drive on for say 30 seconds the pedal is fine again but only for one press and its back to the flintstone braking !!!

my first thoughts were the booster as i put on a vacuum tested and I seem to be getting good vacuum but then i read about the one way valve and thinking about it maybe its that as it just isnt holding its vacuum and has to build it up again...

then i came across your post and i'm hoping you found a solution.

Many thanks in advance and hi to everyone as this is my first post.

Regards

Paul

Sorry if this is long as a first post and hope it is in the rite place

Yesterday 7/11 i purchased a 2006 2.8 grand voyager all drove fine then after about 1hr red brake warning light came on as the car had been standing for a while i thought may be switch sticking but when i came to stop brakes worked great on 1st operation of pedal but on 2nd pedal went hard did stop but with no assist but when driven a while same again .THEN about 1hr after abs / traction off / lights came on but brakes did feel a bit better is this all related to one problem any help or thoughts will be great thanks 

Again sorry for the long post

This vacuum solenoid valve that sits near top of the engine could be the answer, either that or a split vacuum hose in that area. People have reported on it leaking in operation at certain times so might leak/work off and on. Been thinking about the turbo actuator vacuum I said to operate it, but I think I'm wrong as the tapping for the hose comes off the boost side of the turbo, so its a variable air pressure. So does the solenoid supply the EGR with Vacuum and anything else. Edited by gordy

I know it's been a while since this topic has had any activity but I've had the same problem with a gv I bought not long before lock down and now I think I've solved it thought this might help as Google doesn't seem to have any solutions.

Having used a vacuum gauge on the pump and seeing good vacuum Ive put two servos from a breakers on it, changed the solenoid on the front of the engine and tried a few non return valves to no avail.

Putting the vac gauge after the servo showed the vacuum was very slow to rise.

Turns out its the vac pump failing, you can test by spraying some wd40 into the metal tube leading to it with the engine running, if the servo starts working then bingo! I've driven a few hundred miles (essential journeys only!) and servo is still working well, whether this is a temp fix or not time will tell.

As the pump is buried deep in the engine if it fails again I will add an electric pump to bypass it - plenty of info on eV forums on how to do this, should be achievable for under £150

Hope this helps someone.

Hi There,

My problem is similar but slightly different insomuch as I have the ABS light on (Orange) and the 'TRAC OFF' displayed but no problems with the servo etc. Mine started with the sound of metal on metal and then stopped, then started again then stopped (car still stopping without issue) this concluded with me ascertaining a problem - heavily corroded rear discs. All discs and pads replaced only for the light and message still illuminated. I can see from the posts that there is a strong likelihood that one of my ABS wheel sensors has failed.

My question is; if the TRAC OFF message is lit, does this mean the sensor not working is on one of the drive wheels, i.e. the front?

Cheers

Austin

Excluding issues with the brake servo, which I (fortunately) haven't had to touch, so consequently I have no knowledge of what's what in that department. In my case having the ABS warning light on and TRAC off were specifically associated with the ABS wheel sensor(s).

ABS issues are not always straightforward, but are usually associated with a few typical failures, and crap discs, crap/clogged relucters, and front brake sensors are the most likely. That said, the rear sensors, and a shed load of other problems are not impossible.

Again in my case, I had a ABS failure light about 4 years ago, I replaced one tatty looking front sensor which made no difference, then replace a perfectly good looking sensor to have the problem magically resolve itself. This year a light came on I immediately order both front sensors (about £30 off of eBay) and the lights gone out. Okay maybe overkill, but you don't need yer GV in the garage for too long to have a bill far greater than what its worth.