Smoke In Rear View Mirror At 3000 Revs 2.8Crd 2006

Rus

Question

Hi

I have had my Grand voyager for two years now and Love having an auto with loads of space.

I have had from day one smoke in rear view mirror on acceleration 3000 revs and above.  If I keep the revs steady at 3000 the smoke reduces during acceleration time

At tick over no smoke !

Revs when stationary No smoke and engine will only rev to 3000 is this normal ?

A number of garages have fobbed me off and told me all Diesel's smoke on acceleration

Being and engineer its bothering me

Started Reading Online for possible causes.

I have removed the EGR valve / throttle body and cleaned. It was very carboned up. Tested using a vac pump the valve moves

Any Help Please. Am I on the right lines ???

20 answers to this question

Hi rus

Is your car is in park or neutral then its should only rev to about 2500 rpm as mine is the same. I think its a safety feature to stop you over revving car. As for the smoke. Is it black or blue. If its blue yiuve probably got something nit quite right in engine so need to be inspected. If its black on hard acceleration tjen thats pretty normal. As i also get that.plus alot of diesels do it.

Daz

Hi rus

Is your car is in park or neutral then its should only rev to about 2500 rpm as mine is the same. I think its a safety feature to stop you over revving car. As for the smoke. Is it black or blue. If its blue yiuve probably got something nit quite right in engine so need to be inspected. If its black on hard acceleration tjen thats pretty normal. As i also get that.plus alot of diesels do it.

Daz

Thanks daz, yes only revs to 3000 in park. Sounds like a safety feature. The smoke is black and is bad at acceleration. I am thinking this is why my mpg is crap at the moment as stuck around 28. I do 40 miles a day, 6 miles on B roads the rest motorway at 55 -65mph

2007 GV 2.8CRD auto....

In park mine will also only rev to around 2500-300rpm  so I guess that's a design feature.

I also notice quite a blast of smoke from mine when I give it a bit of welly, especially if it's dark, looking through the rear view mirror with car lights from behind you can notice it... however if I'm driving along at 70-90mph say on the motorway it's fine, no smoke at all.

I think to some degree all turbo diesels blow a bit of black smoke when you put your foot down, it's just the way that the diesel injection system supplies the fuel in response to a WOT demand

Mat

Might be worth given your EGR valve a good clean too.  Had this problem with a Mondeo Diesel, took the EGR valve off and it was almost blocked with black crud.  Cleaned it all up using Carb Cleaner, put it all back and only had the slightest 'puff' of black smoke on acceleration.

Looking at doing mine on my 2.8CRD once the weather gets a bit warmer.

Hi i get a faint bit of black smoke under hard acceleration at about 3000rpm. But if i back off the throttle a touch it dissappears. I certainly know for a fact that my turbo is fine and my injectors are fine as i have a good buddy who can plug my car in for data. Theres alot of talk on here aboit injectors are faulty. Well if you think spending around £1000 for the four injectors will cure the problem. I very much doubt it. Id rather save the money and huff a small amount of black crap out of the exhaust. If injectors were knackered it would huff black crap under any acceleration plus it would use gallons if fuel. Black smoke is a small amount of overfueling. And 90% of cars do it. Even more so the cars that dont have particulate filters fitted.

Hi i get a faint bit of black smoke under hard acceleration at about 3000rpm. But if i back off the throttle a touch it dissappears. I certainly know for a fact that my turbo is fine and my injectors are fine as i have a good buddy who can plug my car in for data. Theres alot of talk on here aboit injectors are faulty. Well if you think spending around £1000 for the four injectors will cure the problem. I very much doubt it. Id rather save the money and huff a small amount of black crap out of the exhaust. If injectors were knackered it would huff black crap under any acceleration plus it would use gallons if fuel. Black smoke is a small amount of overfueling. And 90% of cars do it. Even more so the cars that dont have particulate filters fitted.

And how does one fix/correct this

You may be trying to fix something that is not broken. Unless you have 100% injector problems like not starting. Misfiring 3 lamppost to the gallon. Then leave alone. Use better quality fuels. The only smoke i would be worried about is either white or blue. Not the black stuff. If your that worried about it take it to your local garage and for a small amount of money may even free. Get them to out it on an emissions machine. If it passes then all good

You may be trying to fix something that is not broken. Unless you have 100% injector problems like not starting. Misfiring 3 lamppost to the gallon. Then leave alone. Use better quality fuels. The only smoke i would be worried about is either white or blue. Not the black stuff. If your that worried about it take it to your local garage and for a small amount of money may even free. Get them to out it on an emissions machine. If it passes then all good

This is the strange thing, it passed an MOT just like 3 months ago. When you rev it stationery there is very little smoke but when youfloor the pedal while driving there is a plume of black smoke which is actually embarassing :(

There is nothing wrong with your car. Its just diesel particles. If you rev a petrol car hard you get a light grey mist out of the exhaust. Dont forget diesel engines are dirty old things. So drive your car stop worrying it. Your car is not broken. So leave it alone. Use better quality fuels. Its cheap enough now.

There is nothing wrong with your car. Its just diesel particles. If you rev a petrol car hard you get a light grey mist out of the exhaust. Dont forget diesel engines are dirty old things. So drive your car stop worrying it. Your car is not broken. So leave it alone. Use better quality fuels. Its cheap enough now.

Would a dirty fuel filter cause this? I understand the fuel filter is underneath the car. Weird design that  :huh:

I found a leak from one of the injectors. Went to dealer, but he asks a lot of money to replace the o-ring seal or even more money to replace the injector. Local garages refuses to do the job, they think that injector have been stuck and they do not have right tools.

I found on eBay this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181887489722?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with removing injectors, will this tool will be right for the job?

post-884-0-77981200-1453467456_thumb.jpg

Hi there are 2 fuel filters on the 2.8 crd. One in the tank and one at the front lower part of engine. Its always a good idea to change the filter on the engine. Iv not changed the one in the tank yet but i suppose I will at some point. If you had a filter problem you could have symptoms of cutting out or not starting properly due to fuel starvation. It wont cure the black puff of smoke. Darkchild101 give me a ring if you like on the number i sent you