Front Strut Top Bush Nightmare

Italianstallionxx

Question

Hello all

Just an insight into my saga.

One of my front top bushes collapsed, so I thought I would replace my self, being a mechanic I thought no problem.

Oh my f#@*ing god......how wrong I was.

The problem....... compressing the spring.

I have a professional tool that couldn't do the job.

I went to several other garages to see if their tool could do the job, and they couldn't, and some said they wouldn't try as the car had developed a reputation of dangerous/stay clear of concerning these springs.

Finally I found a garage that worked on vans and mini buses who was willing to give it a go........ 40mins later ..... he said omg ...... he had never come across a spring as bad to do as mine.

Seriously !!!!! I can't believe it.

Car still not finished as ive had enough.

There is no value in my comments today but equally if I found a comment like mine.... I would of purchased a complete assembly, of which I've seen for sale and spared myself the heart ache.

I did think at the time a false economy to buy complete assembled strut but I know better now.

16 answers to this question

I actually did this on my Voyager about 3 years ago, it is a twat of a job.

The bowed shape of the coil is the reason you can't use a standard coil compressor.

I eventually succeeded using 3 good quality Tie Down Straps to put the coil under enough tension.

Caution and patience is the key, a little at a time, you won't do this in one go, you have to adjust the straps one at a time, bit by bit.

You can't use the top or bottom of the coil, you have to do this by VERY SLOWLY pulling the middle coils together.

ALWAYS keep two straps taut as you readjust the third, eventually you'll get the damn coil under enough tension. 

It will work, just be VERY CAREFUL.

Chris

Edited by Sentech

I have done this a couple of times now, if ur just changing the top bearing (cheap plastic job) I put 4 coil spring clamps on 2 at a time clamping the bottom of the clamp to the base of the shock absorber then the top of the clamp as high as it will go (because of the bow shape of the spring) then tighten those 2 slowly when u get most of the spring compressed add the second pair and tighten all of them sometimes I take the first pair off and then start again with those. If u take ur time u can get the springs compressed enough to take the top bolt off change the bearing then put it back together again. I would put a strap around the clamps to stop them pinging off and hitting u this does work for changing the top mount only not the shock itself I bought 2 new ones when I bought the car and couldn't do it and had to take them to a garage that sold Chryslers and it cost me £60 so if I had to change shocks on this again I would buy the complete set with springs on it.Hope this helps.

tried two commercial 1 ton hydraulic strut coil stations - useless

ended with 6x390mm new Amazon cheepo clamps, used only 5

Got to be worst waste of a whole day, still have the other side to do .. .. ..

WTF?  how did you manage to put 5 clamps on one spring? 

they must be relay small  - got some pictures? 

WTF?  how did you manage to put 5 clamps on one spring? 

they must be relay small  - got some pictures?

No pics, I was so ' kissed' off I had no time for coffee.

I hooked the last one closest on the middle two coils only to reinforce (holding) a bit of a banana. 700 ft.-lbs Milwaukee cranked to full couldn't even get an extra 1/4 turn - terrifying, no idea of tensile on the cheepo Amazon bars I bought - capable of shearing threaded bar.

So the x4 did the job the 5th was my insurance. Still got to do the other side, not looking forward to it. They were both ripe but only the O/S was clicking karmanski. I'm still lugging one brand new side round waiting for some divine intervention.

1+6

On this video it looks so easy made. 

don't think that it will work that well on the Dieasel Voyager springs. 

I rang the guys from Jeep-Chrysler Parts - and asked them for a complete struts with new springs and top mounts. 

They  only have them for Petrol models MK4&MK5. 

And they do not sale Diesel springs, + very hard to get the right one. 

So I will have to use old once. 

Go to Chrysler HQ [usa]...pick a town/dealer [dont share your location in search] call or write them with vin. Ive done it a few times..Remember, they do the VM engine in the usa [jeep] ....It is fiat/chrysler]

Yeah but I dont want to pay $$$$ for two springs from states.