My New Bella!

MikeyRules

Question

Well thought I'd start a new thread now I've actually got the car home and have started doing some rebranding and modifications to track the progress and help others who fancy going down this route.

As bought/standard:

Rear Badge removed:

Standard head unit:

New Sat Nav / DVD / TV / WI-FI /Rear view camera head unit: (I'm still waiting on this and hope to have it installed before Xmas)

New Momo Design black grill:

I'm now waiting on a new Lancia Airbag, Sill plates, rear badge and 4 hub caps, ah and a set of mats...

had a quick look at the grille today but had to stop due to lack of time before dusk, Nello how did you remove the bumper? I can see the main fixings above and below and the single one at the bottom of each wheel arch but it still seemed quite well fixed how did you detach the sides? Alternatively Mikey how did you detach the grille without taking the bumper off? Did you just undo the top fixings and then pull it off? bit reluctant to do that as worried it might damage the actual bumper. Those little metal clips are annoying I can see that they are easy to fit at the factory but they are a real pain when you just want to get the grille out! I tried to reach the clips by putting my hand behind the grille but I think it is just too tight for space

Mike did well to remove the grille without taking the bumper off Rosso! They hold the grille on very tightly and its impossible not to break the lugs when you try to get them off!

You will never remove them whilst in situ - I tried at first and lost alot of back of hand skin!

Undo the main bolts from above the grille to loosen the grille top. The wheel arch ones are misleading - They are welded on - you actually have to 'turn' the screw from above the nut - not try to spanner off the nut itself. Theres a few more along the arch liner then you need to get under the car and remove the screws along the bottom of the bumper. They also hold on the engine splash covers as well. The bumper is fairly weightly so make sure you have some support underneath once you try to wriggle out. You will also need to disconnect the fog lights.

Once all freed you have to prise off those clips but as I say the lugs will snap off. You can reshape the clips to re-use them when fixing your Lancia one back on. Its a bit fiddly getting the bumper then back on - make sure you note which way around the polystyrene block is that sits under the grille. You also nee to watch you don't scratch the wings - where the bumper mates to the front wings as its goes around the cars sides is a tight fit and you will need to persuade it to slot back in without doing any damage. 

Bit of a fiddle but once completed - stand back - look in pride and that 'proper' shield! - whilst drinking a quick beer from your garage fridge!

Edited by Nello

Actually Rosso this was the original 'Guide' from my badging post:

1. Loosen the x6 T30 Torx screws along the top of the Chrysler grill - 4 on the grill itself and two either side on the bumper.

2. Under car and unscrew the x3 T30 bolts that secure the front bumper to the engine cover/undertray. You will also need to unscrew where it fits to the two splash guards each side of the undertray though I then discovered that one side of mine is missing! To be ordered...........

3. Inside both front arches - x4 T30 screws fixing the wheel arch to the front bumper assembly then the top T30 which screws into a white welded bolt at the front bumper edge to wheel arch.

4. The whole front bumper assembly should now be free - careful as its fairly weighty so make sure you have some covers out in case it slips forward - you don't want to scratch it. You will find that the area where the front bumper meets the wheel arches is push-fitted into and needs a guiding hand behind to dislodge.

5. Disconnect the two connectors from each front fog light.

6. Once done lift up slightly over the top of the font edge and the whole bumper assembly should be free. 

You now need to remove the Chrysler grill. They are secured by series of metal clips that push fit on to the plastic pegs that protrude from the grill.

You WILL break the pegs when removing - slide a screwdriver behind and push out. You can then reform the clips to ensure they fit back over your new grill.

Re-fitting it the reverse of the above. The most awkward part of the whole job was getting the bumper back in position. There is a foam formed piece that sits in front of the Rad behind the bumper. This is only secured by tape so make sure its sitting back in its correct position. Use the access hole for the towing hitch to make sure its in the correct way - only one hole on the one side so you know its in the right way around.

I found it useful to sit under the front centre and lift the bumper back in - up and over then secure under the car. Screw back in the x6 Torx on the Grill top first to hold it in position then fix back up the rest. Make sure the bumper ends at the arches slot it correctly as its quite a tight fit but you will find once its in the right position the rest should line up ok.

Behold - Forza Lancia!  

By the way I checked on the sill trims and they seem to be about 35 quid a side for the stainless insert only, what I can't work out is how they differentiate between chrysler and Lancia as they don't seem to list a chrysler specific part number, I can put my chassis number in eper and it recognises the car as chrysler so why no chrysler part number I really don't know ...... Worried that if I tried to order chrysler ones would turn up!

Yes that's the guy I want 4 centre caps plus the badge, he advised me a discounted figure for them but when I replied the next day try as I might I can't get a paypal invoice from him so I think he must be closed for Xmas

Get the impression that something is lost in translation as he doesn't seem to understand what a paypal invoice is! He is saying buy on eBay first but if I do that I would be theoretically committed to a higher price. It's a right pain but the caps I want are really expensive ordered through fiat with the risk that chrysler ones will turn up to!

Sav Nav looks great Mike - bet you couldn't wait to open that parcel when it arrived! They look a good price for those centres......How much did he charge including shipping if I can ask?

I bought some stick on logos from ebay and removed the Chrysler wings from mine....... Yes you can still see the wing edges but for 99p I'm not too worried!

I'll post some photos and my sills when I finally remember!

They were £35 all in fella, which I thought was pretty reasonable as the caps worked out at about £7.50 each. (circa a fiver for shipping)

I know they do... but thanks for the confirmation :P

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COPPA-RUOTA-COPPETTA-COPRIMOZZO-LANCIA-Y-DELTA-MUSA-2011-hub-caps-logo-new-LEGA-/261700838423?

Oh nearly forgot... Saw this and thought why not...

http://cdn.chryslerforum.co.uk/public/style_images/defraction/attachicon.gif$_57.jpg

at least it will match my Sat Nav!

You'll need the console surround to match now too!

had a quick look at the grille today but had to stop due to lack of time before dusk, Nello how did you remove the bumper? I can see the main fixings above and below and the single one at the bottom of each wheel arch but it still seemed quite well fixed how did you detach the sides? Alternatively Mikey how did you detach the grille without taking the bumper off? Did you just undo the top fixings and then pull it off? bit reluctant to do that as worried it might damage the actual bumper. Those little metal clips are annoying I can see that they are easy to fit at the factory but they are a real pain when you just want to get the grille out! I tried to reach the clips by putting my hand behind the grille but I think it is just too tight for space

Three words.... Brute force + ignorance! :P

I had seen that Neil had removed the whole bumper and couldn't be ar*ed with that so once the top bolts were removed and I'd had a look at how flimsy the tabs with the metal clips were I started to pull the grill away just on one side at first and watched the tabs snap. TBH it was fairly easy without damaging the bumper. The only thing you've got to watch out for is where the metal clips pink off too. Most landed on the under tray, so make sure you retrieve them all.

I didn't try to re-use them although I do still have them all. I just used small blobs of tiger seal, and the new grill clips in the bottom anyway and bolts at the top so I figured it wasn't going anywhere.

I had seen that Neil had removed the whole bumper and couldn't be ar*ed with that so once the top bolts were removed and I'd had a look at how flimsy the tabs with the metal clips were I started to pull the grill away just on one side at first and watched the tabs snap. TBH it was fairly easy without damaging the bumper. The only thing you've got to watch out for is where the metal clips pink off too. Most landed on the under tray, so make sure you retrieve them all.

I didn't try to re-use them although I do still have them all. I just used small blobs of tiger seal, and the new grill clips in the bottom anyway and bolts at the top so I figured it wasn't going anywhere.

I kind of prefer this approach although it would be nice to retain the chrysler grille perfect for future use, there is an outside chance if I ever want to get rid that a new buyer might prefer it as a chrysler! Still concerned that bumper might get damaged but will have another look on Xmas eve if it's not raining that is can't use the garage as it is still full of unfinished volumex coupe. If needed those clips aren't too expensive seem to be about £10 for 20 from fiat, a lot for very small bits of tin but not bank breaking.

Yeah I'm not sure I'll bother as the steering wheel, dash clocks surround etc. are all silver anyway. I'll pass judgement when it's all fitted and see if it looks ok as-is

You could possibly take the surround off and get it refinished(?) On the limited the dash surround and wheel are silver too by the way it's only the S momo design where they are all black

Edited by Rossocorsa

Thanks, the small tray on the near side is missing on all cars, it was deleted in 2010 not sure why although my washer bottle tends to dribble a bit so maybe they figured it was better to allow this to get away fairly quickly??

Do you mean the near side part of the undertray/engine under cover? I noticed that myself and have a Chrysler dealer checking if it should be on my car or not (though they've been supposedly checking for a week now with no news!

They were £35 all in fella, which I thought was pretty reasonable as the caps worked out at about £7.50 each. (circa a fiver for shipping)

Very decent price - are they for the 17" wheels?

No unfortunately, although I've not looked for a week or two. I did look at Italian breakers at the time but no joy...or fleabay for that matter!

I did wonder whether it would be worth getting them re-trimmed? This will make you laugh... My next door neighbour knows the leather trimmer from the Bentley factory in Crewe and apparently he does foreigners! (and I don't mean he has a passion for over seas ladies either :lol: )  

Do you mean the near side part of the undertray/engine under cover? I noticed that myself and have a Chrysler dealer checking if it should be on my car or not (though they've been supposedly checking for a week now with no news!

Simply find the offending part on eper this shows a revision next to it, hover over this and a small pop up describes the change and date from, they could do this in about a couple of minutes!

Grille fitted, went for the mikey method but I snapped off the top tabs by pushing them with a screwdriver rather than just pulling and once the top ones were off it was easy to pull the grille off. Only down side was that I broke the locating pin on the bottom of the old grille. Managed to find 9 of the eleven original clips, fiddly to detach from the remaining slither of plastic but ok. The new grille clips loosely into place and I then fitted back the metal clips that I could reach by trying to get them started by hand (not very comfortable as the clips are made of sharp thin metal) then used a flat bladed stubby screw driver to push them on fully. The near side clips were a lot more difficult to get on than the offside not sure why although it was maybe slightly more obstructed. In the end managed to get 7 clips back on but couldn't access the ones at the bottom of the grille, I didn't think it's a disaster and can't think it will dislodge or fall off. The grille looks so much better than the Chrysler one, the pointed section in the middle follows the lines of the car and makes the front look right, before with the Chrysler grille the bonnet area didn't flow properly.

Not the easiest of tasks and I've a few grazes to prove that I am a true lancista!

Edited by Rossocorsa