Front Wheel Bearing.

gordy

Question

Heres a few related things that I think are, well related. Been a rumbling sound from front end for some time now. ABS light sometimes comes on then goes away. There's a groaning noise sometimes from below left side passengers floor. And the answer may lie from grumbling noise from offside from end when going round left hand corner but goes away as you straighten up. I'm going for wheel bearing here to start with and see if it's causing excessive gap clearance at ABS sensor.

As too wheel bearings there are many to chose from from fleebay, Euro and Chrysler parts. Euro want £235 on their site but £79 odds on fleebay. Chrysler are same. Fleebay has then ranging from £32 to £80 each or £65 for the left and right. But Chinese ones are there somewhere. Does anyone recommend a seller.

7 answers to this question

What a coincidence. 
My ABS light came on about a week ago, went out again and came on again a couple of days ago. 
Today, I got a grumbling noise  that appeared to come from below the passenger floor at the front when I braked. Similar to what I've heard when ABS has activated on previous cars but quieter, possibly due to light braking. 

I've no noise when running (jumped in the FILs Mondeo last week to listen to a noise that was confirmed as a wheel bearing, I've no similar sound on normal running), so I'm discounting that on mines. 

Pretty sure I heard a noise when the light first came on, like a crack, so I'm suspecting the reluctor ring on mines may have cracked.

Not had a chance to have a look yet. 

Thats them arrived, got 2 of them as think other side is suspect too. Quite amazed by delivery time on 24hr Royal Mail, ordered yesterday received this morning. Jeep-chrysler uk was chosen and looks like their made in Poland where lots of Chrysler parts come from. £72 odds seems good for these well made hubs. Just emm need to get them fitted now. Have two offers so thats not too bad for someone who used to do it for others. Edited by gordy

Wonder how many other people have this problem and like me are just taking it as being a rolling along sound. I've just really thought about it since it started to rumble more when going around corners this year, Jan2017 to be precise. But saying that there has been a rolling noise for a few years now. Took it too my son's house yesterday some 70 odd miles as he said he would change the two of them. I'm saying two of them because there is a rolling noise from both. But sorry to say with the rain, then sleet and snow it was a no, no. So we rumbled back home after included shopping trip. Aiming to get them replaced this week if possible, otherwise we rumble on.