Banging Brakes

Jumberly

Question

Hi

Driving home last night I noticed (hard to miss really!) the brakes banging as I braked from a relatively slow speed.  It was if the ABS was on even with gentle braking.  2 miles to home and by the time I was ready to pull into the drive the brakes had just about failed - was ready on the hand brake.

Checked fluids this am, and everything looks OK.  No leaks to be seen.  Took it for a short test drive and that ABS banging started again.

I've removed the 25a fuse (numbered 21) and that has 'cured' it - although I realise I don't have ABS anymore and the dash lights are now festive.  I couldn't remove the other ABS fuse (number 9) because if you do the car won't start.

Anyone know what the problem is so I can fix the damn thing?  ABS pump...?  ABS Sensor...?

Has anyone had this problem before?

Cheers

Edited by Jumberly

8 answers to this question

YEP!

ABS sensor ring corroded on mine, it can't see the segments properly so can't read the relative speed of wheels properly, so thinks they are skidding.

Blood awful isn't it!! Virtually no brakes - because the "anti lock" turns them off for a bit to unlock the brakes = no brakes.

A locked up wheel still brakes.

The idea behind them was to enable drivers to be able to steer round an obstruction in an emergency braking situation.

I am old enough to remember the original Ford (Scorpio I think) advert of it steering round a tractor pulling out of a gate.

I am not a racing driver, and don't know anyone who would actually instinctively steer, rather than pushing the pedal into the floor and shout POO.

You now have full on real brakes, I took months (MOT approach) to get round to it.

But sadly you will have to sort it. You may find a brush off of crud will rectify it for a while.

Edited by bignev

Locked out from above answer.

Bignev sounds about right. Read this story as yet to find, where this car not a Chrysler, went from Garage to dealer and they couldn't fathom it out. Until while car was up on the air someone found a crack on one of the castle rings. Well they solved it, not by plugging in sophisticated equipment or turning bedside light on, but by luck.

Its one of these things that doesn't come up on diagnostic equipment, or person that doesn't understand what their looking at. 

This is an actual GV CV joint, it has an ABS RING as part of the joint, the sensor 'reads' the internal grooves in the ring

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/CV-JOINT-OUTER-WITH-ABS-RING-CHRYSLER-VOYAGER-GRAND-/00/s/OTYwWDEyODA=/$(KGrHqMOKnIE5!D3Hz18BOY5K,lqHg~~60_12.JPG

This is the actual GV reluctor ring itself, read this page [Merc-example] and see the state of most reluctor rings after just one decade of UK 'salt' winters. A good fierce rotary 'cup brush' and a 'scutching hammer' can be the best shot at cleaning one up.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTYwMFgxNjAw/z/mmAAAOxyffZSZkfJ/$T2eC16F,!zMFIc7eu,3qBSZkfIyhNQ~~60_57.JPG

Right here we go, this relates to a BMW 1 Series which have loads of problems so don't buy one. Cracked ABS Rings its headed. Reports of juddering from the car from around 30mph upwards. Misfire is described. ABS & Traction warning lights may be on. Stored code relating to ABS sensor signal incriminating a sensor. As I said this issue appears to show a misfire. This cracking of the ABS rings is a common occurrence on this model so don't buy one.

"brakes banging", as a question, I've seen hundreds of times over the years almost all are a damaged sensor, easily and cheaply [not main stealer price] replaced. A damaged or dirty ring coming a long way down the probability scale but always the second thing to check, also easy and visual because you are under there anyway.

Mine was a faulty sensor that the previous owner had somehow fudged (probably to get through an mot). Had it diagnosed professionally rather than messing about trying to figure out which sensor was dodgy.

Also had a car with cracked reluctor ring but that was on a little suzuki,fairly easy to diagnose due to the ring spinning on the drive shaft rather than being tight.