High Mileage 2.5 Crd

Ohwell

Question

Is anyone running high mileage e.g. Over 150,000.

Looked at one which had a rebuild but unfortunately the sales guy was an arsehole and wouldn't let me test drive it without saying I'd buy it.

I might look at a cv on a 2001 'Y' reg but it's 169,000 miles. Which I've been told it'll need an engine rebuild.

Now if it was a vw 'pd' engine with that mileage I wouldn't be bothered but since I don't know about these crd 2.5 enigines I'm hesitant.

Thanks

Edited by Ohwell

10 answers to this question

Mine isn't quite 150k, it's 108k.

Having said that, it's a 2.5l CRD and it's showing no bad signs yet.

I'm getting the cam belt and water pump done this week in the hope of preserving it's life span.

I've seen people with a 2.5 crd having over 200k miles on this forum. It's all down to how the previous owner drove and serviced it.

Whatever car you buy, try and get one with at least the last 5 years service history. Also if it's at the 150k mark, make sure it's had the cam belt done and that there is proof. A cam belt going is not nice!

Mine is now 200,000 plus and pulls like a train. But saying that millage is propably not true as there's signs it was a taxi before me with a private plate. Had it 4 years now with only service items required. Everything seems to wear well and if it needs changing spares are available. Gearchange is notchy but has been over the four years. Probably needs a new clutch.

Mine is now 200,000 plus and pulls like a train. But saying that millage is propably not true as there's signs it was a taxi before me with a private plate. Had it 4 years now with only service items required. Everything seems to wear well and if it needs changing spares are available. Gearchange is notchy but has been over the four years. Probably needs a new clutch.

my gear change was always notchy & quite slow until I had to change the gearbox ecu &solenoid. After that it felt like a different car with smooth almost unnoticeable gear changes.

BTW. It pulls my caravan with no trouble at all. Anyone lse towin with an auto 2.8 gv.

I used to. The towing weight on these isn't that great though so you have to be careful what you tow. It has a limit of 1600kgs, which isn't a great deal when your talking about modern caravans. I blew my torque converter towing my van - an expensive repair at £1300, but for that I did get an uprated unit fitted with a lifetime warranty.

Make sure you change your gearbox fluids regularly & that your gearbox cooler is working - if you can uprate that for a bigger cooler.

Hello guys, I have 2001 Chrysler Grand Voyager with 5 speed manual transmission and 2.5 CRD engine. It has 214k miles and still drives like a dream. I drive it normally, sometimes I drive short distances in the city and once or twice a month I do 2x 60 mile long trips. When the engine is warm, I often hit the gas and shift at 4k RPM. No issues at all. I make sure that oil and filter changes are made every 6k miles. When the engine is cold, I shift between 1400 - 2200 RPM so it can warm up gradually. The best engine ever!