2.5/2.8 Crd Voyager Or Grand Voyager

Ohwell

Question

Newbie to this site.

I'm a vw nut through and through but since my family is growing I've found myself needing a 7 seater. So since I was looking at vw/seat to stick to what I know. I've found myself looking at these cars for the following reasons.

Well spec'ed

Mahoosive (massive)

More practical for our needs having sliding doors.

But while I'm looking at these cars I'm finding a lot of common issues.

Rear tyres seem to get eaten.

Sliding doors and tailgate central locking issues.

Handbrake not holding

Top mounts seem weak.

Rot. Rot everywhere. Mostly son the sills and chassis mounts.

Wiper stork only working on fastest speed ?

Lights seem to be temperamental.

I'm not shying away but I would like to know what are the common faults or anymore that I haven't listed.

Out of 8 I think I've looked at I've only driven two but all were way over priced for the faults they had. Which when I've looked without my budget in these cars are oddly priced. Anything from 500 to £5000 and doesn't really matter on the age.

Thanks for any comments

Me personally, ive never had any major issues 2003 2.5 CRD LX Grand Voyager, 120k currently.

But to put my piece in : - 

Rear tyres seem to get eaten.    -     Ive only noticed slightly increased wear on the fronts, due it being FW drive and having to deal with steering, plus that lump of an engine.
Handbrake not holding  - if maintained and setup correctly its not an issue.
Rot. Rot everywhere. Mostly son the sills and chassis mounts   - had to repair a small patch on the rear offside sill, wasn't a massive job.

The other issues you highlight, i haven't personally had any issues with.

Other issues i see aa common-ish:

• Oil leaks, normally sump or crank oil seal related ( both repairable by a competent home mechanic)
  • Thermostats failing ( plenty of solutions on this forum. There's even 'how to' videos)
  • Acceleration issues ( again, forum has narrowed down the issues and solutions)

Not to sure on wheels, believe there an odd size. But why would you need to change them, just preference? 

Edited by ryden

7Jx16h2 5 stud, PDC 114.3 

In 6 years over 2 voyagers, the only issue I've had that you've mentioned is the handbrake. I always only patched mines up though. Cable here, cable there, when it goes on my current voyager, I'll just get everything done at the same time.

It took me ages to find our current one at a price I was willing to pay, and even then, it was a 500 mile round trip to pick it up. I felt I got a good deal on ours pricewise, and I'd viewed ones priced much higher that aren't a patch on it. 

Issues I've had are thermostat, battery drain and cutting out under acceleration. All fixed on my current voyager for under a tenner. 

Between here and chryslerforum.com, there's loads of info and helpful folks that will assist. 

Edited by soupstone

Me personally, ive never had any major issues 2003 2.5 CRD LX Grand Voyager, 120k currently.

But to put my piece in : -

Rear tyres seem to get eaten. - Ive only noticed slightly increased wear on the fronts, due it being FW drive and having to deal with steering, plus that lump of an engine.

Handbrake not holding - if maintained and setup correctly its not an issue.

Rot. Rot everywhere. Mostly son the sills and chassis mounts - had to repair a small patch on the rear offside sill, wasn't a massive job.

The other issues you highlight, i haven't personally had any issues with.

Other issues i see aa common-ish:

• Oil leaks, normally sump or crank oil seal related ( both repairable by a competent home mechanic)
  • Thermostats failing ( plenty of solutions on this forum. There's even 'how to' videos)
  • Acceleration issues ( again, forum has narrowed down the issues and solutions)

Not to sure on wheels, believe there an odd size. But why would you need to change them, just preference?

I've been using mot-checker which when I've see what they are failing on the main ones are the hand brake not holding and abs (forgot that one)

I've seen a fair few with rotten sills.

Changing wheels just preference as makes the vehicle more personalised to the individual.

Take it this forum people don't do things like that.

I'm going to look at two today with a bit of luck I might buy one of them.

Ones a black voyager LX 130k miles

The other is a grand voyager 102k miles in silver

Not bothered which one as I haven't noticed the size difference.

Welcome to the site!

Yes the pricing especially from dealers can be vastly ranging, seen some for ridiculous money because they had "low" mileage.

We've had 3 and not seen any rot, but ours are all 2002 / 2005.

All our we're petrol, on LPG, so not had many of the running problems of the diesels.

I changed the wheels on 2 of ours, porous on one and scabby on the other!! Try the PCD checker website as a backup.

Yep the central locking motors can be a problem, bu they cost pennies to fix.

If your family is growing and you are using buggies - you WILL notice the difference to the Grand, our twins buggy wouldn't fit in the shorter Voyager with the rear seats slid to the back.

Handbrake not holding - yes got that, so I park it in "Park" it clunks when i comes out on hills, other than that not a worry for me.

In 12 months and 11,000 miles a set of new 18" Accelera 245 50 PHI R wore by 1mm on the back from 8mm centre 7mm outers. No they are not the same depth all the way across I measured brand new ones.The fronts were down to 2mm so I replaced them, for more Accelera's.

Top front suspension mounts - yep fairly common, but is that because we talk about it and other car sites don't as it's an easier / less expensive fix so just gets done?

Wiper stalk problems, I've had the indicator not self cancelling on one of our cars. Got a brand new pattern unit recently for £28.00, and 20 minute to replace it.

No problems as yet! with the lights.

They are super things to drive, we also now have a 2007 Ford Galaxy Ghia with loads of toys, panoramic roof etc, but the Grand Voyager is a much nicer "posher" car (and in petrol / LPG silky smooth), and he Ford is far from fault free!!!!

Edited by bignev

I've been using mot-checker which when I've see what they are failing on the main ones are the hand brake not holding and abs (forgot that one)

I've seen a fair few with rotten sills.

Changing wheels just preference as makes the vehicle more personalised to the individual.

Take it this forum people don't do things like that.

I'm going to look at two today with a bit of luck I might buy one of them.

Ones a black voyager LX 130k miles

The other is a grand voyager 102k miles in silver

Not bothered which one as I haven't noticed the size difference.

Like big nev mentioned - we talk a lot on this forum, so any and all issues no matter how unique they are get mentioned and rectified! 

Most issues are easy fixes and home mechanic suitable. Just keep doing your homework till the right one comes along.

I understand. I've just never gotten round to looking for aftermarket wheels

Cant speak for automatics either - always had manual ones ( which also reminds me, just make sure all gears accessible and smooth engaging)

Apart from hand-brick and sliding doors, none of the above #1 is true as a statistical'norm'unless they are total neglected bangers.I have not looked but by normal say date range of 15 years or less 99% of GV's don't fit the O/P's opinion.

The plastic chain track on the door fault and the medieval 'top hat' design for the parking brake are well known faults. The overwhelming remaining GV fleet will be automatics and as such are locked and immobile when parked anyway.A dealer will always add £500 for a 'sold as scrap' and £1000 for any other type is sale, a 6 month patient look for a good private sale will always reap rewards.

The best things about common faults is the most have been delt with here in the past so someone will be able to point you in the right direction.

Biggest problem I've had is getting the correct parts from motor factors as some bits seem to just have the wrong part numbers on them! Or you can't get them from this country.

Welcome to the site!

Yes the pricing especially from dealers can be vastly ranging, seen some for ridiculous money because they had "low" mileage.

We've had 3 and not seen any rot, but ours are all 2002 / 2005.

All our we're petrol, on LPG, so not had many of the running problems of the diesels.

I changed the wheels on 2 of ours, porous on one and scabby on the other!! Try the PCD checker website as a backup.

Yep the central locking motors can be a problem, bu they cost pennies to fix.

If your family is growing and you are using buggies - you WILL notice the difference to the Grand, our twins buggy wouldn't fit in the shorter Voyager with the rear seats slid to the back.

Handbrake not holding - yes got that, so I park it in "Park" it clunks when i comes out on hills, other than that not a worry for me.

In 12 months and 11,000 miles a set of new 18" Accelera 245 50 PHI R wore by 1mm on the back from 8mm centre 7mm outers. No they are not the same depth all the way across I measured brand new ones.The fronts were down to 2mm so I replaced them, for more Accelera's.

Top front suspension mounts - yep fairly common, but is that because we talk about it and other car sites don't as it's an easier / less expensive fix so just gets done?

Wiper stalk problems, I've had the indicator not self cancelling on one of our cars. Got a brand new pattern unit recently for £28.00, and 20 minute to replace it.

No problems as yet! with the lights.

They are super things to drive, we also now have a 2007 Ford Galaxy Ghia with loads of toys, panoramic roof etc, but the Grand Voyager is a much nicer "posher" car (and in petrol / LPG silky smooth), and he Ford is far from fault free!!!!

Thanks for you feed back and welcome.

Oh they do rot. One I looked at today had sills and the bottom of the drivers doors was all bubbled up right the way across.

Most I've seen are rotten on the sills towards the back wheel arches. Not all but that's where they seem to go.

We have twins on the way which is why we need a 7 seater. Our pram should fit as it folds quite small and everything just unclips easily.

These chryslers are no way as bad as the ford/seat/vw for rust though and the two I've drove were better and bigger than the others.

I'm looking at 2000 to 2007. Seen 06 plates less than 52 plates.

Spec wise im not too fussed and mechanically as long as there is some service history and proof of the cam belt done them most things I can sort.

I'm looking for one which is priced right but the body has to be respectable i.e. No bumps and minimal scratches as I can detail most out if not too deep.

What does get me is people who are selling cars in general say :

" age related bumps and marks"

No such thing it just shows the person doesn't really care about the car.

The search continues I will find one before xmas.

5 weeks down 3 left ?

Like big nev mentioned - we talk a lot on this forum, so any and all issues no matter how unique they are get mentioned and rectified!

Most issues are easy fixes and home mechanic suitable. Just keep doing your homework till the right one comes along.

I understand. I've just never gotten round to looking for aftermarket wheels

Cant speak for automatics either - always had manual ones ( which also reminds me, just make sure all gears accessible and smooth engaging)

Noticed one had nouchy gears but that was due to the clutch bitting at the top.

Left that car alone as not had a service in 50k miles.

I don't want an auto as I don't like them much prefer to change gear when I want to.

I sold my car yesterday (sat afternoon) so need a car now and no matter what other cars I'm getting told to look at like a (cough cough) Kia Sedona err the Chrysler voyager for the looks of MPV's look far nicer

Nearly every car I've had I've tastefully modified mostly cosmetic i.e. Lower and alloys. My plans when I get one is just to make the car mine. By changing the wheels once what ever tyres on get worn. This car once I have one is just a family bus for daily duties I'll be getting another VR6 vw as a toy once my and my misses are married.

Cars are under my skin and have been since I was a kid. I feel if you don't look back at your car when walking away you have bought the wrong car. Also look after it better too.

The best things about common faults is the most have been delt with here in the past so someone will be able to point you in the right direction.

Biggest problem I've had is getting the correct parts from motor factors as some bits seem to just have the wrong part numbers on them! Or you can't get them from this country.

It's a pain to deal with I know.

My last car was 21 year old and shared a lot of parts with no other so had to track good condition ones down.

Some Mechanical parts I had to buy non oem as they were discontinued. So this side of things doesn't bother me.

This forum seems friendly and helpful so thanks guys for all your feed back

Cheers

I've had my current 2005 GV for nearly 10 years now & would echo whats been said above.

The handbrakes are rubbish. My local garage rebuilds mine every other year at MOT time -which happ3ns to be next week. He also looks after another GV & the guy who owns that insists on new parts but my guy at the garage says his doesn't work any better than my rebuilt oe using existing.

other than that ive not noticed any of the points you made in your original post. Rear tyres last as long as any car I've had & i tow with mine during the summer months as we canp quite a lot.

Look for a stow & go. They are so versatile.

Had one fault on a door with a broken cable in the track that I've fixed a couple of times but thats an easy one. All cars develop some faults but my voyager is solid with few issues.

One thing i would say is that they do eat batteries. I'm on about N°5 so they last on average about 2 years but as i bought one with a 5 year warranty a few years back they've had to change it twice for free.

Seating layout in these is second to none & we can fit all 7 of us in ours with no problems - me, Mrs W, son N°1 who's a 6'2" prop forward, 2 teenage girls, son N°2 who's still in a booster seat & my 80 year old mum who lives with us.

It's a pain to deal with I know.

My last car was 21 year old and shared a lot of parts with no other so had to track good condition ones down.

Some Mechanical parts I had to buy non oem as they were discontinued. So this side of things doesn't bother me.

This forum seems friendly and helpful so thanks guys for all your feed back

Cheers

I'm looking at a gv on Saturday apparently it's having a power steering pump done and will have 12 month mot. if it has the 12 mot I might just buy it and see how it goes for the price it's worth it for a year. It's at the same place I saw a black one yesterday with the rust so I'll take some pictures of it and show that they do rust.

I think it's 4 out of 8 I've looked at the have problems with rust.

I could be that they are not cleaned properly by going through car washed (machine ones) which miss the underneath part of the sill coursing them to corrode. I don't know just surmising.

The stow and go's I've not seen any in my price range. But not bothered about that. As once our twins are born all seats will be in use.

What age cars are you looking at as my 2005 is solid as & my mates one - 2006 - has no rust either. Had a late 90's one in the late 90's & that had none either

From 02 - 06

With what members are saying on here it seems the ones with the rust are not looked after and not cleaned my hand or often enough in that case.

I've had vw's mostly and the ones I've had are genuinely looked after as mostly owned by an enthusiast.

I'm looking at a grand voyager probably Thursday night since there open til 19:00 but for the money as long as there's no major issues. I'll buy it as it has 12 month mot. Full leather with heated seats. So I'll see what that's like.

I am also looking to buy a Grand Voyager Ltd with Stow n Go. I want a 55 reg on without starship miles although good service history is more important than actual miles in my opinion, not bothered if diesel or LPG (actually I would prefer an LPG I think). I am looking to spend under £3500 in total and have considered a couple that needed work however it seems that the timing belt replacement times are impossible to work out (I have been told 60K miles and also 100K miles???) and finding one in my price range and way above, with written proof that it has been replaced is like finding hens teeth, noone seems to bother and I just know that if I bought one of these the belt would snap on the drive home..... :(

It is easy to spend money on a dog but I have happily owned my present car (Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 V6 diesel (Mercedes lump)) for 6 1/2 years and been totally happy with it and only suffered one fault, which was a known fault and easily rectified (if not so cheaply...) so I am being very careful looking for the replacement vehicle.

Not easy is it?

Good luck with your search Ohwell

Keith