mycool

Question

Hi All, I have a 2006/7 Grand voyager which has just been serviced [major] by a local garage and they also made and fitted a new brake pipe, changed anti roll bar linkage, etc.

Having completed these works the vehicle was delivered back to me and I then discovered that the auto gearbox was in limp mode. The vehicle has been taken back into the garage and they have now informed me that they think it is the relay selector box which they propose to change along will all the fluids etc. they want £1250 plus vat. before spending this money I would appreciate any comments and also can anyone recommend a good garage in the south London, surrey areas?

11 answers to this question

thanks for the suggestion, i have used them before and found them to be very helpful. Have just phoned them and had a good chat but they are extremely busy and i need this fixed asap, especially before the 13th DEC as am hoping to use the vehicle to carry some stuff to Italy.

Hi there.

Just curios: was the car driving fine before their "service"?

Also, automatic gear boxes go into limp mode if gear box oil level is low...I know from experience too, the symptoms are that the gears won't change (in theory it gives you the opportunity to drive to a mechanic).

Plus, many garages use apprentices as help ( no offence to anybody) and sometime an unexperienced labourer could overlook something as basic as filling the oil to the level...

I'm just saying.

If you want to check the level, remove the top cap from the gear box (it is also the filling point) and the oil should be felt with the finger. If it seems like is no oil in, put the right type of oil ( I would replace the whole lot) until is pouring out from the same whole.

If you want to replace all the oil, undo the bottom bolt.

...hope it helps somehow as once I scrapped a good car just because I didn't know about the connection between auto gears and gearbox oil level.

Hi - i had the very same problem only a couple of months ago.

my local independent changed the gearbox ecu for a warranted used from acd spares in Lancaster & that didn't sort it totally so he changed the gearbox solenoid.

Not had any problems since. Cost me all in including labour £450.

I'm down in kent & use an ex chrysler guy who's forgotten more than most know about these. Only trouble is he does get booked up.

Hi there.

Just curios: was the car driving fine before their "service"?

Also, automatic gear boxes go into limp mode if gear box oil level is low...I know from experience too, the symptoms are that the gears won't change (in theory it gives you the opportunity to drive to a mechanic).

Plus, many garages use apprentices as help ( no offence to anybody) and sometime an unexperienced labourer could overlook something as basic as filling the oil to the level...

I'm just saying.

If you want to check the level, remove the top cap from the gear box (it is also the filling point) and the oil should be felt with the finger. If it seems like is no oil in, put the right type of oil ( I would replace the whole lot) until is pouring out from the same whole.

If you want to replace all the oil, undo the bottom bolt.

...hope it helps somehow as once I scrapped a good car just because I didn't know about the connection between auto gears and gearbox oil level.

auto box level is checked on stick and filled up down tube no plug on side of box