Central Locking Issue

Draddict

Question

So, my GV 2006 Stow and Go has another issue that I need to fix, although it's not urgent.

The rear door on the drivers side won't unlock or lock when I use the central locking system. All the other doors lock and unlock with no trouble via the keyfob, but this one door refuses to lock or unlock. If I use it I ave to lock/unlock it by hand. I might add that all door including this one, open automatically just fine with the keyfob.

I was in a dealership yesterday and they looked at the door for an hour or so but couldn't figure out what it might be that is causing the issue. They did say that it looks like the motor at the bottom of the door has been replaced at some time and so this could have damaged the wiring in the door but they couldn't be sure.

I spoke to an auto electrician who said he was sure it was just wiring and quoted me £60 for the first hour and £20 for each hour thereafter for looking at it.

Obviously I don't want to spend money on a fruitless search around my car door so I wondered if anyone else had this problem and if so how they solved it.

Thanks!

3 answers to this question

Hi,

I've put a similar post up recently with a driver door that wouldn't lock/unlock but the principle is the same here. And yes I'd look into it first yourself as there are some basic checks you can do.

Firstly I'd take the door panel off and look at the servo itself. Use the central locking and whilst it's triggering the other doors try to 'help' this one with your finger, see if you can feel the motor trying at all. If it's trying even a tiny amount then it's just the servo has failed and needs replacing.

post-612-0-58671800-1476884304_thumb.jpg

If it doesn't do a thing and you have a multimeter, put that on DC voltage, 20v and put the probes on the two pins that feed the servo, again try the locks and see if the meter shows a jump in voltage then back to 0. If it jumps then you know you're OK on wiring, etc, and it must be the servo.

If you don't get any voltage to it then the original point about wiring being faulty sounds a good bet, and my money would be on the wiring "chain" that you can see when you open the door coiling along the bottom, take that apart and check for damaged cables, they are normally reasonably obvious if they're broken.

Hope that helps.