Gearbox Service 2.8Crd Auto

Dazandtrace

Question

Hi all

I thought it was about time to service the auto box. Well I have the transmission fluid. Yes it's +4. But the problem I'm having is getting the filter. Seems as it's a main dealer only at £63 . Has anyone else had this problem getting one from a motor factors

Thanks.

Mi££ions spent, and the worlds top engineer scientists develop then protect their research investment with a trademark ATF +4 100,000 mile licensed fluid. They do the same for engine oils, anti freeze and diesel but some untrained someone believes the marketing hype and changes the engine, gearbox, fuel oil characteristics and their science out of all recognition. They usually do this out of good intentions, but ...............

There's a lot of mixed reviews about lucas stop slip. But more good thanks bad. Will definitely look into it more. But as for atf+4 I phoned my local dealer and asked about this atf+4.as i here this is a must and nothing else will do as if you use anything else it will be the end of the universe as we know. The service chap said any atf will be fine in this vehicle but I'll put you through to parts. So parts came on the phone and said . Yes atf+4 or any equivalent. But to be honest and atf will be fine. So I have found an equivalent from comma so that's what I'm going to use at only £8.30 a ltr not to bad a price

Hiya Daz how are you?

I am going to do mine in the near future, start of summer service time.

Could you let me know how you get on after changing the transmission fluid as I've read sometimes you get hard shifting for a bit after the job until it setles down again.

Hope you are well!

Hi nev all good here thanks. I'll let you know how it goes. I thinks the hard shifting is down to air in the system I'll cycle the gears before driving just to get fluid through the system. A friend has just done his with the same comma fluid and eBay filter. He said all was good and runs nice

Just gear box oil and filter should make a difference any way, but the way I see it it's not going to hurt to add it doesn't cost the earth.

it's not going to hurt to add it

HiYa 

Junglehead,

- can you substantiate that ?

- 99% of supporters, like you have no science to support the assertion

- 99% of 'write ups' are infomercials [a form of advertising sellers] nothing more than a any advert

There's nothing at all wrong with a suggestion, this is a forum. All advocates provide opinion, all those with an opposing view provide opinion. Most so called science in favour of these additives is paid for by the people who profit from selling the 'snake oil', and most so called reviews are paid for infomercials or forum shills paid for by the people who profit from selling the 'snake oil'. Only the engine manufacturer knows what's safe and should be used ... and says so.

At the end of the day people have choices, I'd hate the idea that anyone compromises the reliability of their engine going off half-cocked especially when they do it believing they are giving it extra protection when they are doing the opposite. To make a change to the expected 'mapping' of a 'smart trannie would be to invite disaster, that's not an exaggeration, just a fact. The 41TE is a smart trannie, its actually run by a computer equipped with on-board diagnostics right there in your unit that changes and makes learning decisions by the minute, any reading, any malfunction will throw up a code or it will try and compensate for example in this case in a dramatic change in the existing ATF+4 viscosity.

Best of luck.

Edited by QinteQ

I'd use the best parts you can get we just had our gearbox fixed to the tune of £2200 tho we were been taken for a ride as tinda lee were adamant that a 2.8 crd has a 6 speed box in it and I know it's a 4 speed box it went in with a niggle before box stuck in gear and having been told rebuild included sensors ect it didn't, is there any trust left in garages anymore to make matters worse there health check reported low oil, it wasn't, low tyre tread... They wasn't they originaly said £3000 all in I did lots of research and found other places were 1500-1650 so I complained did my homework and got them down to £2200 having found receipt from gearbox fluid change they had used ordinary fluid not our recommended oil I believe this is what killed my box

The 62TE first came available from 2007, but not put into minivans and our Voyagers till later, there's not even a dipstick on the 6 speed, again ATF+4 only and not Dextron 3. The 4 speed 41TE's in the 2.8CRD have been around for 30+ years and are well regarded as reliable. Most box's are killed by dirty oil, dirty means not per the spec on the already coded computer map. Most knackered box's can be brought back to life simply with £100 quids worth of new oil & filter. Its expensive, but essential to eliminating most codes, the car's computers will then work with what it knows to be the right oil map.

Best of luck leeoliver 2010.

Ok just to report that gearbox now serviced with+4 atf run for two weeks gearbox felt a bit smoother. So iv put a bottle of lucas non slip in well as week later fantastic improvement as when I'm towing it's not hunting for third gear it on uses third when needed. Ok I took a risk but it was well worth it

So, I bought a second GV for my wife. This time petrol/lpg 3.3 and 2004 year. Bought it from a friend of mine, but now looks like he is dishonest - dodgy.

After some long driving the 3rd and 4th gear changes with clunk /kick. Under heavier acceleration. But not each change.

If I drive in the city, in slow traffic then no issues. If I'm on the motorway and have been driving for some good hour, then under heavier acceleration it's can jump out of 4th gear and rpm goes high (4500), if I will release the foot from the pedal, then around 2500 rpms it's will jump back in to the gear but with clunk /kick.

If I accelerate slowly, no issues.

Sometimes on the road if I accelerate fast then with kick it's will change to 3rd gear too. But not always.

I have checked oil level. It's shows add when cold, but it's in correct level after some 15 min driving.

Only thing what I have find out is, he changed oil 14k miles ago and unfortunately changed to gulf atf.

Dealer said its OK, should not be a problem.

I'm thinking of changing it to correct oil and adding some non slip grease.

Or it's to late and damage done?

I'm taking it on Saturday for diagnostic, will see what's will come up.

Andrips,

I'd not even give it a second thought, drop the pan and get the gulf stuff out and get genuine mopar ATF in there with a new filter and you might be lucky that it sorts it, many posts around have similar issues and it's purely the fluid that's been put in it.

(Do a quick search on ebay and get the fluid, filter and seal kit)

HiYa Andy, the life and half life of all 4 liquids always becomes jaundiced by forum opinions. Unless you have evidence of swarf I see no reason for flushing so :

Brake fluid [hydroscopic and never ever changed] do a full vacuum, dump, replace with new @ 80-100k.

RAD never ever ever back flush do a complete drain down, replace with new @ 80-100k.

Engine drain & refill, its cheap & easy but even a low miler cold school runner can kill engine oil quicker than a hot running high miler.

Auto-Box is the main critical one of the 4 to maintain again 80-100k VAC out VAC in about 50%+, I've done it and it works but you need a rigid 8" into the actual old oil to get it out and the whole insertion outside diameter needs to fit down the filler pipe. Everyone knows my views on 'snake oil' cures for every 'voodoo' cure there's an alternative right way of doing things. These box's have a good rep if they are oil maintained only. Best to you M8.