Chrysler Independent Garage

Junglehead

Question

14 answers to this question

Just to add another price/job done, I got this done when I got my 2005 2.8CRD earlier this year and actually got it done at a Halfords Autocentre (before you groan, Halfords Autocentres are separately run to their bulb fitting empire!) as it's just beside work.

It's a pig of a job, so took them the majority of the day, but for belt and water pump it came to around £500 including parts.

I domt understand how they can quote for a cambelt and waterpump. As book times are 3.10hrs todo timing belt and they include waterpump change in thats time. Which i had s quote of 420 yesterday from my local indy garage. But if you check out how lomg they book for a waterpump booking time is 7hrs. Plus on top.of that you would need a new cambelt.

The quotes are for 2.8 crd 2006

Having changed a water pump on a 2.8crd I can understand why Chrysler charge £800+

Personally I can not see how it is possible to undo the necessary bolts without removing the cylinder head. I struggled even when I had the cylinder head and the exhaust manifold removed. Hence the 7.5hr Booking time.

If you do have the water pump changed by an independent garage do make sure that they actually do change the water pump if they have charged you for it because knowing what garages are like....they would take a look at what is actually required to change the water pump and will say to themselves “there is no £€$¥ way I am doing all that”

And I can guarantee that for £180 your water pump will definitely not have been changed!!

Fortunately those pumps are very robust and being as they are powered by the cambelt are not likely to breakdown. Save yourself the headache and £££s. Just change the timing belt or have the timing belt changed for you and leave the water pump.

If you do pay the £800 you better make sure they did the job. It is easy to tell if they have or not because the metal of the new pump is nice and shiny. If they haven’t changed it, return to the garage and demand a partial refund.