#1 Daz264

Daz264

Just Passed

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 06 September 2021 - 04:57 PM

Hi my 2004 2.8 crd auto keeps cutting out. It drives fine then I hear a metal rattle ( like the noise when u stall the car) then it dies and the engine light comes on. It starts up straight away then the light goes out after a few minutes.it happened 3 times in 20 minutes on Friday then its run fine till today then it happened twice within minutes today . I done a oil and filter and fuel filter change yesterday hoping this wud help but no luck. Any help plz ?

#2 Sentech

Sentech

Just Passed

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 07 September 2021 - 07:55 AM

Sounds Like dirt in the fuel tank to me

• Daz264 likes this

#3 andyb2000

andyb2000

Advanced Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • LocationNorth-east, UK

Posted 14 September 2021 - 08:05 AM

@Daz264 oh the dreaded cut-out issues on these VM Motori 2.8crd engines :-( It's a pain, there are so many possibilities of what the fault is.

I even did a youtube video on it years ago when I still had my CGV's which might give you some pointers:

https://youtu.be/ucfZfV1cNng

Good luck. I know you're looking at crank/cam sensors which are sensible places also, although normally they would also cause problems starting, sometimes warm sometimes cold, do you get that or will it start each time?

The main one seems to be the fuel filter case cracking slightly and allowing air to be sucked into the fuel line causing it to stutter and cut out (Metal rattle is just a consequence not a cause in this case, it's the engine being starved of fuel and juddering to a halt).

Good luck!

#4 Daz264

Daz264

Just Passed

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 14 September 2021 - 11:23 AM

I found something on the Web about turning the key in the ignition a few times and it showed a code on the dash of p0204 that's says it's number 4 injector woohoo so I'm on the look out for one but does anyone know if I have to recode the injector or just a case of plug and play thx

#5 Daz264

Daz264

Just Passed

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 14 September 2021 - 11:25 AM

Hi Andy yea it always starts first time so not sure if it's the injector it's self or a lose wire I'm gona have a fiddle later ..might pull on the wires to lol c if they r lose ?

#6 andyb2000

andyb2000

Advanced Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • LocationNorth-east, UK

Posted 14 September 2021 - 12:10 PM

Injector sounds a good shout to me, especially if you have a stored code for it.

No these ones aren't needing coded into the ECU just match same type and away you go.

Hopefully that's the problem :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users