Rear Self Leveling Shocks

Daz264

Question

10 answers to this question

Hi there,

I've not tried those no, but what's the problem with your originals?

Those look naff all like mine- but mine's a gen 4 not gen 5 that these are for.

Never come across that type of arrangement used in conjunction with a leaf spring, but I'm not too old to learn!!

And I don't know what the 5th Generation has on the rear either - that's what it says they fit. But this is the 4th gen section after all.

Mine does have the Sachs Nivomat self leveling shocks, and I replaced the bushes on them a couple of years ago, but I admit I did use it as an excuse to buy a small hydraulic press to get them in!!

Apparently these shocks should really last a very long time.

One of our good guys andyb2000 did replace his with a standard set up, and they worked fine for a good while, till he changed his car.

Edited by bignev

Hi Gordy,

Nope, the Nivomats don't have any extra springs under the cover.

They are a LOT larger diameter than standard shocks.

It's a very clever valving arrangement internally that, after being loaded up, makes them re-settle at the "standard" height when the car has been driven for a short distance.

I don't know precisely what that is without getting my books out, but it's not just a few yards, more like a few hundred.

I would go with another pair of originals if I thought they were affordable, and the car was worth it. Or I would seek out a pair of used (original) ones in decent nick.

Depends on how long you're keeping the car, and how many miles you intend to do.

To go for something different at this stage of the game is risky at best.

hi guys I'm is 4th gen and I'm getting banging when I go over humps or even little bumps in the road on near side. I have looked every where for the shocks but with no luck even tried maker but not made any more and the breakers that are online due to most closed down i can't get them.yes I saw the post about putting the thinner ones on but not sure about that. I messaged the seller jeep chrysler and they said these wud fit and they look more heavy duty so I'm gonna change the bushes and if no luck there I might try these

Ah yes then, that's what mine was doing, even on small bumps, sounded horrendous.

I renewed all 4 bushes, so far they've been great.

They are available from the US, Rockauto, but I wouldn't do it personally, there are 3 options, and the cheapest pair (with delivery) come in at just under £460 to the UK.

Bushes would be (and obviously were!) my call on it!

Edited by bignev

Have a friend in the business [uSA] tells me these are made by Munroe in Mexico for Chrysler. They do a 'generic' but do not say what they fit [licence issues]..You can find them but not easy..[did have the munroe part number but cant find] Anyway they are less than half price Nivomat....and even less if you dont use RockAuto [lived in USA off n on...dont know anyone that uses them..kill ya on shipping]