2013 Delta 1.6 multijet

seagoon

Question

Hi everyone

woke up this morning, -3 snowing got into the car to go to hospital and I could not move the gear stick!!  at all it was like it had been welded it started ok but I could not move it at all

when I pressed the clutch it was like pressing against a rubber ball, Im thinking gear box or clutch or thrust bearing in the end my daughter took me to hospital

when she came home she got into the car and on the dash it said " ATTEMPTED THEFT DETECTED" :huh: she put the key in and it started and the gear knob was now free and the clutch was has it should be !! what the hell is this anyone, could it be a after market security device?? the night before the alarm went off has the dash cam fell off the windscreen inside and set off the alarm which I did not know untill the next morning when I wanted to go to hospital, has anyone any idea has I cannot find anything in the handbook which would indicate what this is

Regards Dave

1 answer to this question

Hi

Will all be separate issues.  Gear cables / shift mechansim were likely frozen, not unheard of in the Fiat world.  Clutch master cylinders can start to play up in cold weather. If the seals around the plunger are failing, they can shrink a little bit in cold weather and allow the hydraulic fluid to bypass the plunger. That creates insufficient pressure to disengage the clutch. Once everything warms up, the seals expand enough to do their job, and the clutch works fine again -- until the next cold start.  Is there evidence of hydraulic fluid underneath the car at all?

Theft alert is as you've said; the alarm was activated & it tells you that has happened when you next open the car.  Unlocking & starting will clear it.