Is the Delta worth it?

andy2212

Question

Hi all!

I’m a newbie to the forum and am currently looking to purchase my first Chrysler. I really like the look of the Delta, and I find them to be pretty good value. However I’d like some owners opinions:

• Is it any fun to drive?

• Does the 1.4 petrol feel fast at all? (coming from a 1.2 Polo with 0-60 of 14.1 seconds)

• Is the interior a good quality and comfortable place?

• Have you modified it, and if so what have you done?

• Is the 1.4 reliable?

• Is servicing an issue due to Chrysler leaving the UK?

Many thanks

5 answers to this question

The Delta 1.4 multiair is a hoot to drive, it's basically a Fiat Bravo/Alfa Giulietta in a more stylish package, it's built by Lancia on behalf of Chrysler and is the exact same as the original Lancia delta 

It will make the Polo feel like a slug in comparison, 140bhp and 40mpg is not too shabby 

Interiors are tough and durable, if not a little dull

No modifications on our car and at 70k miles, still on the original front discs and pads, the last of the original tyres lasted until 60k miles 

As I said, it's basically a nice Fiat Bravo so parts availability is easy enough, I do my own maintenance and have never not been able to get parts 

Hi andy,

the Chrysler delta is a brilliant car, certainly better than whatever Volkswagen you have at the moment, we all know the Americans can build far better quality automobiles than Germans.  (Ignore the fact it’s just a fiat brava underneath)!!
In regards to your question, personally you should splash out and try to pick up one 1.6 Multijet 2 models, since although your fuel economy may be slightly worsened the 165hp will certainly provide the thrill that all us Chrysler drivers love. 
For the interior the Chrysler delta provides a comfortable space to relax in provides ample room to fit anything in.

to drive the car provides a wide range of driving systems that make driving a more enjoyable experience. For example Delta's 'Absolute Handling System', essentially a bringing together of all kinds of electronic gadgetry so that it works in concert to improve the driving experience.

On 3/4/2022 at 1:22 PM, Andrewgrale said:

The Delta 1.4 multiair is a hoot to drive, it's basically a Fiat Bravo/Alfa Giulietta in a more stylish package, it's built by Lancia on behalf of Chrysler and is the exact same as the original Lancia delta 

It will make the Polo feel like a slug in comparison, 140bhp and 40mpg is not too shabby 

Interiors are tough and durable, if not a little dull

No modifications on our car and at 70k miles, still on the original front discs and pads, the last of the original tyres lasted until 60k miles 

As I said, it's basically a nice Fiat Bravo so parts availability is easy enough, I do my own maintenance and have never not been able to get parts 

Hi mate thanks for the reply

I’m glad to hear it’s good to drive, I was worried that (because it’s slightly larger than the Alfa/Fiat equivalent, and definitely bigger than my Polo) it’d be a bore to drive but I’m glad to hear it won’t disappoint.

If you don’t mind me asking, which trim level do you have? I’ve been comparing them and I’m interested to hear some opinions

Hi Andy

Have to say I absolutely love mine & have no intention of getting rid.  Quick, decently economical, cheap to maintain, lovely to drive & not like everbody else's.  Mine is a 1.4 Multiair turbo petrol SR model; half leather half alcantara, climate a/c, 17" wheels plus mine has reversing sensors.  I don't do diesels so the Limited or the Momo editions were not for me, though I do prefer the Momo's all black interior.

I have changed all the C-word parts to the correct Lancia items (sill plates, headrests, airbag, grille, rear badge, wheel caps, engine cover).  You can find mine on the 'Autotrader 1.4SR 16k miles' thread on here: https://www.chryslerforum.co.uk/topic/5020-on-autotrader-14-sr-only-16k-miles/

The Chrysler branding is just a weird / stupid marketing decision FCA made with these & the Ypsilon.  They had plans to finally reintroduce Lancia to the UK & Ireland with these 2 models, but with buying Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge etc combined with the 2008 economic crash Fiat bottled it.  They rebranded them as Chrysler to fit with the then-established dealer network here rather than set up new Lancia dealerships (planned to be at selected Fiat / Alfa sites).  Should never have happened - but worse was done in reverse in Europe when the Chrysler Sebring & 300C tanks became the Lancia Flavia & Thema respectively & the Voyager bus had Lancia badges stuck on it.  Vincenzo Lancia must have been turning in his grave!

If you read the thread you'll see mine actually came from Guernsey and so I'm the 1st owner here in the UK.  She'll be staying with me for some time yet, if not forever; as a lifelong Lancia fan (I'm lucky to have a mk1 Delta HF4WD as well) there is nothing I would replace her with.

Edited by Deltamike

an SR is the one to go for, you get alcantara which it seem special. The top of the range is all leather which is not to special, could be off a VW! and it is not as pliable making the seats firmer. Most of the rest of the toys are the same. 

I can only speak of my car but it has been very reliable, whereas the Mercedes van I use at work is half the age, half the mileage and is a bag of crap. Also on my Alfas any faulty part usually has Bosch stamped on it, so a Delta is a step up from VW.

HTH