VoyagerPig69

Question

Hi all,

I am having a b*gger of a time with trying to get my 2003 2.5 CRD through its ITV (Spanish MOT) it has done 194000 miles.

when left to idle for a few minutes, then accelerator 'hoofed' there is a big cloud of white smoke, I mean, 'blank out the road' cloud of white smoke!! fast pull aways from traffic lights can be impressive!! everything else is OK.

The engine is not losing water, so not a head gasket problem and I also think the fuel consumption is a bit wayward from what it was, so, I'm  guessing that it is an injector problem.

It has had an oil and filter change, had various injector cleaners through system, the 'stop smoke' additives etc but to no avail.

I want to test the injectors, anyone know what the electrical resistance of the injectors are? and can anyone suggest other test methods without buying expensive test kit?

I maybe able to borrow a IR temperature tester for the header pipes, to check if it is just one cylinder over hot or cold, in comparison to the others.

Also, does anyone know what the cylinder compression test readings should be? I know the compression ratio but I can't seem to find what PSI/BAR measurement is to be expected when testing. Just wondering if bores or rings are worn out.

Thanks in advance.

4 answers to this question

I had a similar issue with my 2003 2.5 CRD a few years ago.

It was actually oil leaking into the turbo.

I took the turbo out from the back of the engine, which was a bit of a fiddle. I bought a turbo refurb kit for about £50 and then sent the turbine off to the same company for balancing - again about £50 and refitted it, and said goodbye to leaving clouds of white smoke behind me!

Good luck!

When booting it your engine has to have the correct mixture to get the excelleration..Not enough air will give you the smoke you have..So could be a dirty sensor not getting right mass of air reading. And don't forget the EGR should be closed on booting it, or you'll get smoke. 

On 8/13/2021 at 2:54 PM, VoyagerPig69 said:

Hi all,

I am having a b*gger of a time with trying to get my 2003 2.5 CRD through its ITV (Spanish MOT) it has done 194000 miles.

when left to idle for a few minutes, then accelerator 'hoofed' there is a big cloud of white smoke, I mean, 'blank out the road' cloud of white smoke!! fast pull aways from traffic lights can be impressive!! everything else is OK.

The engine is not losing water, so not a head gasket problem and I also think the fuel consumption is a bit wayward from what it was, so, I'm  guessing that it is an injector problem.

It has had an oil and filter change, had various injector cleaners through system, the 'stop smoke' additives etc but to no avail.

I want to test the injectors, anyone know what the electrical resistance of the injectors are? and can anyone suggest other test methods without buying expensive test kit?

I maybe able to borrow a IR temperature tester for the header pipes, to check if it is just one cylinder over hot or cold, in comparison to the others.

Also, does anyone know what the cylinder compression test readings should be? I know the compression ratio but I can't seem to find what PSI/BAR measurement is to be expected when testing. Just wondering if bores or rings are worn out.

Thanks in advance.

I know it was a while ago but how’d you get on? Ive just bought a Spanish plated 2006 Voyager with an ITV due in August and am about to replace timing belt, and suspension bushes and a compression test as well.