Intermittent Radio Screen/clock

maxcaddy

Question

For some unknown reason the Radio Screen has started to muck about. It turns itself off while going along, and sometimes fails to come on after starting. When it goes off the red warning light flashes.

Anyone else had this ?, 

All constructive comments gratefully received  :)

4 answers to this question

So when it started it was/is just an inconvenience. With a wife to listen to I didn't need the radio, and the fitted Satnav is little better than a compass............

However, the fact that no one else has had this issue/or wants to admit to it, is concerning as if it's a rare fault, then what else is liable to be affected/also going to go wrong ???

Hi maxcaddy!

I haven't come across this problem on this forum that I remember, but the fact the red alarm light comes on, I think could be that it thinks it's lost "ignition on" power..

I don't reckon there are any regulars on here that wouldn't help if they'd had the same problem. Unless they are on holiday and not here at the moment of course.

Have you had a search on the american ".com" rather than .co.uk forum?

And it's a Grand Voyager! There's a whole big list of stuff that's quite likely to cock up. Sadly. The forum has lots of them! Mostly probably not at all related to a radio head unit though.

But I suppose it's not impossible you've got a duff head unit.

By way of a blind guess, and nothing to lose by giving it a go, have you tried removing the "IOD" Ignition Off Draw fuse for 15 to 20 minutes?

It resets stuff like door locking, or unlocking, or I had rear lights out, or remote alarm not responding, and other stuff.

Or feed wiring to the back of the unit?

I've had 3 over the last 7 years, for 3 years in the middle I had 2 at once. Must be daft. But I have avoided the purely diesel problems by not having one.

Cheers Nev, as I say it's always worrying when no one else has ever had the same problem..Anyway I'll try the IOD fuse as I do have the rear doors play up at times, and hopefully its as easy as having a dirty contact. Other than that as nothing in the dash has been touched in 5 years I'm hesitant to go in there, as I could cause more trouble than what I have.

My concern with the red light was that it was associated with the ignition/alarm/immobiliser, and that it might then not want to start if it happened all the time.

Not sure about the US site as, A, a lot of them use a mechanic and then report back what the mechanic said and not what they themselves had found or done, B, that unless the model is exactly the same there can be a world of différence in problems with a RHD Diesel against a LHD Petrol, and lastly that up until now I've always had good responses off of here :).

Oh I agree with you that disturbing things on these can upset them, mine definitely is an ungrateful begger rather too often when I fix something......

From my very few visits to forum.com there does appear to be a fair number of guys with the 2.8 diesel, including our very good regulars andyb2000 and Qinteq, I've certainly seen several references regarding the thermostat mod, and charging button mod.