Mot And Parts Woes - Any Suggestions

Burb

Question

Hi all - first time poster. I've owned a Chrysler GV for the last two years, and it's coming up for the second MOT since I bought it. It's failed on two points, but the garage that I normally use is having some trouble sourcing parts.

#1 Lower Suspension Arm Complete - Offside Front. Garage has had problems sourcing this, apparently all their normal suppliers sent a part with no ball joint. They have located one supplier willing to supply at £260+VAT and it includes the ball joint but has to be paid  upfront as they don't have an account with the garage. Does that seem reasonable?

#2 Wheel Bearing Offside Rear. This is all a bit wierd; apparently there are a variety of different part numbers for different models of GV. The only way to find out which is the correct one is to take out the old bearing and see if the new one fits. Fair enough, but there's a possibility that in doing so the existing wheel bearing will break leaving the car on the ramp and undrivable. So there's a risk involved, fair enough. The generic part(s) are available at around £200+VAT. The alternative is to get the official Chrysler part at 311+VAT. It will be guaranteed to fit, I presume, but could take a 6 week lead time from USA->UK,

Worst case will be over 800 when labour is taken into account. I'm able to pay but don't want to pay over the odds and run the risk of the car being on the ramp for 6 weeks. It's all a bit of a mess really. On the whole, I trust my garage and am content that they're doing their best, but I wondered if anyone has been in a similar situation and can offer advice.

I'm told there were 2 variants of the GV in 2010, and this is the earlier. Does that help and/or make sense?

Rob

9 answers to this question

HI Rob!

If you have been able to get the Mopar Chrysler part numbers you could try Rockauto USA.

For their 3.3, or 3.8, or 4.0 petrol the part number for the lower suspension arm (control arm) is 4766910L, prices from £38 to £69.14 for the Mopar one, plus carriage and vat.

Rear offside wheel bearing 4721762AK COULD be the whole hub assembly with bearing, assuming you have rear disc brakes, at £144.05 plus vat and carriage. Or down to £83 for an alternative manufacturer.

This includes the ABS cable, shows it on the pictures.

I just ran it through with the Mopar parts, and delivered in 3 to 6 DAYS would be a grand total of £309.07.

I don't have any secret parts data, I just went on the site, went down to Chrysler - Town & Country - 2009 ( yes you said 2010 but early so used 2009 to be before the change date) then looked for the parts.

Cheers

Nev

Edited by bignev

Thanks for that response, Nev. Unfortunately the reward for answers is more questions, as I'm a rookie.

It's actually Diesel 2777cc first registered in March 2010, which supports your 2009 theory without quite proving it.

I'm not familiar with Mopar unfortunately.

From what I understand from the garage they do want the whole bearing assembly.

Sorry, this isn't completely coherent, is it?

No worries mate I will help if I can - but note mine is a 2005!

Yep I got it would be diesel, but the yanks don't do parts for diesel variants we have to work round it sadly!! Mostly chasis stuff is the same but not always.

Hence the reference to part numbers. Hope the garage managed to get them from the Chrysler dealer!

Mopar are Chrysler original parts, simply.

Or have you looked on ebay?

I just did and came up with the stuff you need a piece of cake - and having seen the pictures on the USA site they look the same, but listed for the UK 2010 diesel model - for a LOT LESS money.

My local autofactors have occasionally been stumped with mine - had 3 (overlapping each time) in the last 6 1/2 years, but always got what I needed from ebay or USA. Sometimes cheaper from 4500 miles away and that's crazy.

Sure it was Jeepchryslerparts I tried to source a front handbrake cable from (stow and go).

They were £140. 

I got one from my local ex Chrysler dealer for £78. I suspect JCP were buying direct and adding their cut. 

Have you tried local places, ex Chrysler dealers for quotes?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=chrysler+dealers+Edinburgh&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBGB807GB807&oq=chrysler+dealers+Edinburgh&aqs=chrome..69i57j0.6215j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I work next to A, the part was delivered to A from C. If you want to see if they can help you out, I could pick it up and post the parts to you (if they can't post themselves). 

Just to say they look to be Fiat dealers, but they were Chrysler/Jeep previously. That was a couple of years ago now, but failing that, I'd try Jeep or Dodge dealers local to you. 

Edited by soupstone

Hi I just ordered new front wheel bearing for my 2.8 CRD 2008 for £89 incl VAT Blue Print Brand from local car parts shop, I don't understand why your garage has got a problem with it. 

I just went by Reg plates and all done. 

I think that you can buy ball joints on its own and press old out and new in. 

Hiya

Don't know if this will be helpful. I live in Spain and use Autodoc or Recambios for spare parts. They seem to stock a lot of Chyrsler stuff and their prices seem pretty good and they do send their parts throughout Europe, I think they originate in Germany. Hope this helps. BTW it is in Spanish but Google Translate does a pretty good job.