Suspension Problem ?

markyb7

Question

Hi all, it’s been a long time since been on here, which as our Grand Voyager has been behaving himself for the last few years I’m guessing is a good thing !!!

Few weeks ago front end making some strange sounds and drivers side shock had punched through the turret.

New shocks (after market not orginals) fitted both sides and all good..... OTHER than steering now pulling massively to the left and steering wheel massively out of centre.

Popped down the tyre place and they adjusted it all up and now whilst not quite perfect, it’s acceptable for now....

HOWEVER.... today I noticed that passengers side wheel arch is sitting nearly 30mm higher than drivers side ????

Everything else seems ok (other than seem to introduced a slight squeak/creak on steering but have seen some grease nipples so am assuming this this do-able...

Sooooooo..... any suggestions as to what may have caused steering to be so massively out on what I assumed was a straight swap out.... and any thoughts on what may be causing such a noticeable ride height difference.

New shocks and coils all looks good out the packet and weren’t from eBay....

Thanks guys !

4 answers to this question

Did you replace the top mounts / bearings too? That could be a source of the noise.

And the shocks have got to be fitted in the correct orientation, as pointed out by another member recently.

If the springs aren't fitted into the shock seats correctly they will probably also then give a slightly different "loaded" height. And could result in a pull to one side if the spring coils are under a wound tension.

A huge difference in ride height could cause a pull, but I would have thought it would pull to the lower side, not the high side as in your case.

Did anyone check the new springs, and shocks, were the same length - as each other?

Edited by bignev

Hi BigNev, Yes both top mounts replaced at same time. Bearings ? Do you mean wheel bearings ? If so, then no.

Unfortunately I didn’t think to check Lengths together as replaced one side at a time but units were purchased together from same place and it didn’t even occur to me to check.

Interesting to think that the difference in height would cause the tracking issue. Have had s search for previous comments/thread but can’t see it unless I’m being dim.....

Also getting a bad vibration on braking but this was present previously and am assuming the discs have warped... that’s also on the list.... might take everything back off and start again.

No not wheel bearings, the top mount has a bearing in it - well it's supposed to - for when the wheel / strut is turned, so you will have done them, I hope!

It's not at all unreasonable to assume the springs should have been the same, I'm just weird and having had it happen to me on other stuff over my life I gave up trusting companies to get it right, just because it's what they do.

Sorry if this sounds rude but you knew complete shocks are handed I presume! I do not mean to offend!!

The mounting orientation comment was made a few months ago but I can't find it either, I'll search a bit more later for you.

And I would reckon you're more than likely right on duff discs!