Headlights Suddenly Stopped Working!

ametcalfe1989

Question

Hi all,

I've got a 2.5crd and the headlamps (both at the same time) stopped working.

Fogs are fine and sidelights are fine.

It was too dark to check the bulbs but I'm thinking it's pretty rare for both to go at the same time.

I've pulled the battery completely overnight, I'm hoping that will work but I was just wondering if anybody has had the same issue and has any advice?

Thanks in advance :)

11 answers to this question

Tried that at the time, no avail

Swapped the relays and the fuses around with something I knew worked and of the same amperage

I looked today at the looms and can't see any wiring loose or earthing

I'm off to pick up the bulbs now so should know whether the bulbs just did the unlikely and both went at the same time in about an hour

Tried that at the time, no avail

Swapped the relays and the fuses around with something I knew worked and of the same amperage

I looked today at the looms and can't see any wiring loose or earthing

I'm off to pick up the bulbs now so should know whether the bulbs just did the unlikely and both went at the same time in about an hour

How did you get on? They are fortunately reasonably easy to change - unlike Mrs W's renault megane which is an hour both sides & hands ending up scratched.

Unfortunately I didn't have time to get around to it because typically as soon as I got to the car parts store, I got a phone call from the school saying my son had nose dived in to the play ground floor...

However, I did notice that the clamp on the negative wire that connects to the battery is really bent and not connected properly so my guess is (I may be completely and utterly wrong) that the negative has come loose causing the battery to be disconnected briefly then reconnecting while in motion causing a voltage surge which took out the headlights but as you may tell I'm no mechanic or auto electrician!

I am going to give it a go tomorrow afternoon (hopefully it won't be raining!) And let you all know :)

Edited by ametcalfe1989

Don't forget your 10mm (I think, or is it 8mm?) socket to remove the 3 bolts to take out the headlights, only takes moments, and wriggle the lamp forward to undo the loom connector.

Do your high beam bulbs still work?

Low and high are all H7 bulbs 

Cheers for the advice, mate :)

"Borrowed" a socket and wrench set from work for a job I've gotta do around the house this weekend so I'm all tooled up! :)

Does the assembly slide out towards the front? It appears that way to me from a quick glance

Yeah high beam, fogs and side lights all working. It's truly baffling, I really hope it's just the bulbs and not the FCM

Speaking as I was of her sodding megane - that happened to it about a year ago. One bulb went & the other went the following day - hence how I know it's an hour both sides. Different cars I know, but can happen. You assume they would both have originally been fitted the same day, first turned on the same day & done the same ever since.

Haha I've heard Renaults are a nightmare to do the usually simplest tasks!

On my Rover 75, I had both lights go within an hour of each other but never ever have I had both lights go out at exactly the same time which is really quite worrying

I've read that it can be a communication issue with the FCM but I've also read that if it was a problem with the FCM then the windscreen washers wouldn't work (weirldy) but everything else, including the windscreen washers, on the car is absolutely fine... *frantically touches wood*.

Haha I've heard Renaults are a nightmare to do the usually simplest tasks!

I've just spent all day trying to fix the electric windows on her Renault. Both rear windows went down when she opened the roof, but when she wanted to shut it one window went half way up & the other stayed all the way open. I've had to dismantle the entire assembly on both sides and manually shut them by taking the motor apart just so she can use the car. Glad its going next month as she's ordered a mew Mini Countryman that arrives in a few weeks time.