Abs Light On

BARRYSHAW

Question

HELP THE ABS LIGHT HAS JUST COME ON THE GRAND VOYAGER NO PROBLEMS DRIVING JUST THE LIGHT ON (JUST BACK FROM MOT IT PASSED) NEED TO FIND THE RIGHT CODE READER TO HELP ME DIAGNOSE THE PROBLEM HAVE CLEANED THE RELUCTOR RINGS NO CHANGE HOPING ITS JUST A SENSOR ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED THANKS BARRY

3 answers to this question

Unfortunately with an ABS light a code read is almost a must as there are so many systems that talk to the ABS. (Also the reader you need is the advanced ones that read Chrysler, any of the cheapo ODB II units won't cut it)

However, having said that, there is another basic test you can do before you take it to a garage to take a look, I've recently found a problem with my wheel speed rotation sensor and testing those are easy:

Front wheels (Easier to take them off, but not necessary) at the back there is a plastic splashguard cover, towards the front of the vehicle. Gently feel/pull on this and you'll see/find the wire going from the speed sensor to a connector. The connector has a red plastic clip to slide first, then push down and disconnect the sensor.

You'll see two pins inside the connector that goes to the wheel. You need to get a multimeter onto those pins to test (croc clips work best) and set your meter to resistance on one of the higher (lower ohm value) settings. You should get an ohm reading somewhere in the 1200 ohm (From memory), but basically if you get a reading then chances are that one is OK. Repeat on the other 3 and compare the results. If you get a 0 ohm or incredibly high reading then the sensor may be shot.

The other test is that when the wheel is rotating it generates a small AC voltage, so if you want to also test this, jack the wheel up (out of gear, etc, so make sure it's chocked well!) and set your meter to AC and 5 volts or less and start to spin the wheel, by hand it should give you a small voltage which shows the teeth/sensor is working.

Other than that, diagnostics might be needed I'm afraid.

(PS, an ABS light on is an MOT fail)