Disc Life

Woodie106

Question

Hi

Was wondering how long you guys think a set of discs should last on these vehicles?

Mine have done 120,000 miles now, which to my mind seems a lot. Had them measured last time I had new pads installed a couple of years ago & they told me they were well over the minimum width.

It's going in on Monday for new pads & was thinking it's probably time for some new discs as well.

Edited by Woodie106

6 answers to this question

Hiya guys,

On all 3 of ours I've ended up changing them at around the 80 to 85,000 miles mark.

Of course I have no idea on 2 if they'd been done before, the third one had, I had the service invoices.

So my guess would be that, unless you've had it from new, they have probably already been done at some time, so simply go on the remaining thickness as last time.

My wife kills the pads on our petrol versions in only around 15,000 miles, I get nearly twice that in my 3.5 ton van (but manual gearbox with engine braking), won't listen to driving advice about get off the accelerator early.......... Pads are cheaper than divorce

Well it went in today. Needs new discs & pads on the front as they are now on the limit & are quite badly corroded on the inside. New pads on the rear as these are now wafer thin although discs are ok for now but advised will probably need replacing with next set of pads.

The rears are apparently a real pain to do as you have to replace the handbrake shoes as well. My handbrake has never been that effective & it just scrapes through the mot each year. Had it rebuilt couple of years ago for the mot.

Be a few quid when it goes back in on Wednesday to have it done but money well spent

Edited by Woodie106