Hesitation Problem With Voyager Crd 2.5 Diesel 2003

yableep

Question

Hi guys,

Just recently I experienced a problemwith my voyager.

All drives well until I want to do a sharp acceleration.

When I push the accelerator past half waymark, I get a couple of hestations and engines cuts out.

After I stopped, turn key off and it restarts as normal and no error code.

I can repeat this over an over.

I am on the right track assuming that APS (Accelerator position sensor) sensor is faulty past 50%.

Thanks

19 answers to this question

Hi, 

The 'Key Dance' is a procedure which highlights any faults the car has ( errors are shown normally where the mileage is displayed)

Basically turn the key 3 times to on - off on, off on, off on. 

Does the EML come on at all???

Edited by ryden

Codes relate to boost pressure. So if the sensor is getting old or choked up it sends an out of sync message to ECU relating to boost and engine is shut down. Happened to mine as well and sensor cured it, part way that is. If instead of engine totally cutting out and just going into limp mode, power cut, I would go for Turbo Actuator as of it not operating waste gate and causing over boost.

Maybe just seized Wastegate or blocked hose to actuator.

Sensor is easy option.

Hi, 

The 'Key Dance' is a procedure which highlights any faults the car has ( errors are shown normally where the mileage is displayed)

Thanks for your reply,

Will have a look this morning and post back later.

Hi, 

Tried that key on/off, no codes, done a scanner check, also negative.

post-935-0-85010900-1449103086.jpghttp://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/attachments/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/733d1428606852-fuel-pipe-size-2-8crd-voyager-temp-pressure-switch-3.jpg

Location of the boost pressure sensor and what it looks like.

Thank you very much for that.

Next step I think would be to clean the sensor and look for a broken or damaged hose.

Very surprising. But as you say, give the component a clean ( you'll be able to tell straight away if its gummed up)

When you try to accelerate hard does the engine warning/management light come on? 

no, nothing lights up, only oli light comes on when the engine stops.

Do you know when the fuel filter was last changed? If a while ago, it may be restricted under load, if recently, it may be drawing air as it's not tight enough. 

Think yours is at the rear, next to the fuel tank. Unplug the wiring and check for damage as well, which might point to a crack in the housing, which will allow air into the fuel system. 

Remove the filter bowl as well, to check there's not two sealing o-rings in there too. 

Quick and easy check, if even just to discount it. 

Edited by soupstone

Hi,

Correct, no codes, no lights, just hesitates and just down.

Had a full service done in july, hope they changed the filter.

Will check with garage.

Will do a test drive tomorrow and see if problem is still there.

Fuel pressure wil be next on the list.

Thanks for your replies and effort.

Many newish cars like the Nissan Juke are being hauled into garages for loss of power, not starting, etc. What's found, fuel filter blocked. Oh but it was serviced recently. Yes you got it, fuel filters don't come into the servicing agenda. Spark plugs as well funny enough. So your fuel filter is a possibility and has been in occasions. But if air is getting in its lively to be hard to start first thing. So after these checks you maybe onto checking injector fuel spill rates.

Hesitation did you say, high speed cut outs, but usually accompanied by rough running, means crank angle sensor. But do fuel first. 

Thanks for all your replies and suggestions.

Just to re-cap.

no codes, drives normally, but under hard acceleration hesitation and engine shutdown.

yesterday I cleaned the MAP pressure sensor, after cleaning it felt that the engine starts a little better.

This morning I done a test drive (best to do while it is cold as it will ask for more fuel).

I run from 1st to 4th to about 3500-4000 rpm, there were a couple slight hestitations, but that's all, engine did not cut out.

So I feel quiet confident that this was part of the problem (clogged up pressure and temp sensor).

I will now regulary check if the small hesitations will go away or not. If not I will buy a new sensor.

Also will check fuel filter and housing etc.