Lights In Light /mirror Control Panel

Woodie106

Question

Hi - i understand that the panel that has the headlight / interior light / mirror controls on can be lit.

Anyone know what bulbs to use & where these can be sourced?

Also while I'm on i need to replace the lighting in the panel above the radio that houses the seat heater / rear wiper / hazard switches as the only one now lit is the passenger seat heater. Is this one sealed unit or an the bulbs be bought? Seen a few available on ebay but ot sure if I'd just get the switches which don't need replacing as they all work.

Thanks

Woodie

2 answers to this question

I presume yours is the 2005 onwards version as mine? 

Earlier ones were illuminated as they came.

Later ones aren't.

You need to buy an assembly from an older car, as the pcb in these has connections and bulbs, then loop across 2 of the connections in the back, I have done this as it annoyed me having had 2 older models that lit up. I will try to have a look which wires it was, but may be weekend as I've got a jolly busy week coming!

Sorry no idea about the bulbs in the heater / wiper switches.

The bulbs in the facia at the top of the radio (Heated seats, rear wiper, etc) are not intended to be replaceable! (Great idea Chrysler) as they're standard filament bulbs but soldered directly onto the PCB.

It is do-able as I've done it to mine and a couple of others now, basic procedure is:

Take panels apart to get at them (I've done videos if you need help on taking the radio panels out, etc, have a look at my website/youtube)

You can then take the entire switch module out of the panel, so you can work on it inside. 

The next bit BE CAREFUL, there are springs for the switches so do it somewhere you've got good light and can watch if a spring flies off! Prise the back panel off (You'll see screwdriver holes to push in and twist to unclip each of the clip points) and it'll come off.

You'll then see the circuit board and the bulbs. You'll need to unsolder each one. I then used a bunch of new white or green LEDs to replace them with, try to get ones with integral resistor (so they're 12v supply).

Now the tricky bit. LEDs care about positive and negative, so you need to test which of the solder points are positive and which are negative, so carry it back to the GV, plug it in and switch on. Use a meter to then test which one is positive and which is negative, so you know how to solder the LEDs on.

Oh also, you need pretty slim LEDs. I found the small square ones worked best.

Solder them on, put back together and enjoy illuminated buttons once again!

BTW: if yours didn't have illuminated headlight/light controls I suspect you'd be able to use the above technique to retro-fit them to a non-illuminated panel, and as bignev says fine the right wiring connection to 'borrow' power for them.

Good luck and feel free to get in touch if you need any more help.

Regards,

Andy