Gauges And Radio Gone Crazy

DavidJ

Question

Hi

I've been having a problem with the speedo, rev counter, fuel gauge and radio going crazy, also the engine cuts out,

The battery over cooked. Took it to a Chrysler garage who said it was the alternator over charging on tick over and it needed changing. They wanted to over cook me by charging over £600 to change the alternator, so I changed it myself. After changing the alternator I let it run 15 minutes while I cleaned up. Afterwards I went out onto the dual carriageway and within 5 minutes the same problems were back.

Anyone any ideas?

thanks

7 answers to this question

Hi David,

Couple questions : -    

1. What model do you have?

2. Do you have any fault codes on your dash ( using the key dance trick) ?

There are quite a few components which relate to your charging system potentially. Also did the garage state how they diagnosed the alternator being at fault?

Edited by ryden

So there isn't any error codes present on your dash, when you've done the key dance? ( just to confirm)

Also did the garage say how they diagnosed the alternator being at fault?

I know its a bit of a long shot, but are you sure the alternator you've acquired is in good working order?

Edited by ryden

I believe on this model, the voltage regulator is onboard to the PCM unit...which i hope isnt the issue, as it requires a new PCM unit.

The alternator does all the rectifying within itself on this model and so there isn't an external rectifier so to speak.

Have all the ground cables been checked? the battery temp sensor also plays a part in regulating charging rate of the battery.

Edited by ryden

Ah ok.

Not sounding good then - if it was "overcharging on tickover" then it would seem that there is some other source of the problem.

In my old world experience, alternators never failed to an over rated output - they packed up as a winding went, so no output.

However - stuff and technology move on.......

Thank you all for assistance, I have had to drop it back to the nearest dealership as they seem the only ones willing to test it. The one consolation was that I actually got it booked by an experienced fitter as opposed to the admin staff so was able to give more details and have someone understand what I was saying.

Hopefully by tomorrow evening the will have the actual answer.