Query About Automatics

Draddict

Question

Hey again!

Unrelated to my other couple of issues, but I wanted to ask advice on here to other drivers of the same car. I have a 2006 4th Gen Grand Voyager and it is automatic.

This is my first automatic car ever and I am a little concerned with the amount of revving it does to get to a cruising speed. Is this normal for an automatic? I was told that due to the lower gears and having to work harder, it does tend to rev harder, but my rev-o-meter (is that the right name?) goes up to 3 and past when I drive... I feel like it isn't supposed to!

Any advice? 

4 answers to this question

I guess my little bit to this, my Chrysler Grand Voyagers (have now owned two) were the first autos I had ever driven and at first I found it was constantly shifting (or seeking) for a gear when I was pulling away on motorways or at cruising speed, bumping up and down between the top and 2nd to top gear.

Over time this calmed down and I read that there are two reasons for this. Firstly not knowing how to 'drive' an automatic, you start to learn their shifting point and will ease off at the right point in the shift to avoid it, no point wasting fuel when it can shift and make things smoother.

Secondly most automatics are learning, so they start to learn your shifting habits and adjust their shifts accordingly, I can't categorically remember if the GV's have this or not but it's another reason why over time that should settle down.

Hopefully that'll settle down and you'll get used to the automatic. I hate driving my wifes manual gearbox car now, I've become too lazy with my auto!

(PS It's generally known as revcounter)

Enjoy your GV!

Hey again!

Unrelated to my other couple of issues, but I wanted to ask advice on here to other drivers of the same car. I have a 2006 4th Gen Grand Voyager and it is automatic.

This is my first automatic car ever and I am a little concerned with the amount of revving it does to get to a cruising speed. Is this normal for an automatic? I was told that due to the lower gears and having to work harder, it does tend to rev harder, but my rev-o-meter (is that the right name?) goes up to 3 and past when I drive... I feel like it isn't supposed to!

Any advice?

Auto GV's like non-automatics accelerate according to your right foot.The exception to this rule is when using 'cruise control', travelling at say 70 or even 50mph in cruise mode and touching pause or the brake pedal then resuming cruise will always automatically rev to almost 3k. Yes the software will learn your right foot style and drive that way henceforth, - that's what you asked for. There is a hidden software setting that needs a diagnostic scanner to re-set the learning software.