7 replies to this topic

#1 maxcaddy

maxcaddy

Just Passed

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 30 March 2021 - 07:52 AM

When I start the car especially after leaving it unused for a while, there's a load of billowing smoke in the engine bay coming up from underneath/around the Battery area. Smells like burning diesel or oil, and not exhaust gas, and certainly not water/coolant. 

Has anybody else had this issue ?. Is it to do with the EGR valve which is usually stuck in some place that's nigh on impossible to get to ?.

Thoughts ?

#2 JonWright

JonWright

L Plates

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationEast Devon

Posted 30 March 2021 - 08:26 AM

Could be a rocker cover gasket leak - this can leak onto the exhaust and create quite a lot of smoke.

They tend to crack/leak when getting old.

They are fairly easy to replace!

#3 maxcaddy

maxcaddy

Just Passed

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 30 March 2021 - 11:47 AM

Yep, a good place to start. It's just that to get a good look you have to strip out the Wipers, Battery etc just to get yer head in to see  B)

#4 timb02

timb02

Just Passed

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Locationnorfolk

Posted 30 March 2021 - 12:39 PM

Yes mine does that too. it will be the egr and associated pipe work but as above a PITA to get to and repair. I've just put up with the smell for the first few mins.

#5 maxcaddy

maxcaddy

Just Passed

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 30 March 2021 - 05:12 PM

I also think the EGR is the main contender, but obviously will check cam covers etc for weeping. 

If yours is doing the same, what do you do re MoT time ?, take it for a 20 mile thrash first  :D ?

Do you know where the EGR actually is, i.e. do I get to it from the top, the bottom, or go around the side once the Battery is out ?

In the good old days you could clean things like that with Caustic Soda, but I guess that's all now banned in 2021  B).

#6 dave62pb

dave62pb

Just Passed

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationDevon

Posted 31 March 2021 - 04:13 PM

Could be a rocker cover gasket leak - this can leak onto the exhaust and create quite a lot of smoke.

They tend to crack/leak when getting old.

They are fairly easy to replace!

Not that easy as cams are actually in the top cover so its a case of timing belt and all that to take off, 

WE must be neighbors I am East Devon Also 

#7 maxcaddy

maxcaddy

Just Passed

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 01 April 2021 - 06:54 PM

If yours is doing the same, what do you do re MoT time ?, take it for a 20 mile thrash first  :D ?

Okay, for any other folk on here with the same issue, the answer is as above. I took the old girl for a re-test after giving it a good 25 mile thrash, and got it nice and hot with no smoke coming out at all. 

Fortunately with the new Control Arm Bush fitted, and the smoke cured, it passed, and lives for another year  B)

• bignev likes this

#8 timb02

timb02

Just Passed

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Locationnorfolk

Posted 02 April 2021 - 05:19 PM

I also think the EGR is the main contender, but obviously will check cam covers etc for weeping. 

Do you know where the EGR actually is, i.e. do I get to it from the top, the bottom, or go around the side once the Battery is out ?

In the good old days you could clean things like that with Caustic Soda, but I guess that's all now banned in 2021  B).

Yes as it's driven to the mot station it's fine when it gets there. The egr valve is at the front towards the top of the engine. it is possible to clean with carb clean however I think the smoke is from a cracked pipe. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users