Rear Self Leveling Shock Absorbers

Dazzer

Question

13 answers to this question

Hi Dazzer,

All well here and popped back for my occasional visit to my good old GV forums. Still miss these things.

Anyway, before mine went I had the same problem and changed both rear self levellers for regular shocks, there was no real noticeable difference at all to ride and performance and considering the cost, even if it meant that I had to change them more often I reckon it's a win.

Cheers,

Andy

If it's just the mounting bushes in the shocks they are available, but you will need a press (well probably, I used it as an excuse to buy a cheapish one) to get them in.

Or a pair of standard units as Andy trialled and proved.

Hi @@andyb2000 how the devilare you??!!

Hope you're keeping well!

Edited by bignev

@@Dazzer Yeah that was my video changing them, depends how up for a challenge you are, as @@bignev says you can change the bushes, I've never attempted it as not justified the press (YET!).

Thanks fellas btw, all good here for me, my Zafira doing the job but still not the replacement of my GV, I keep seeing the ads on FB for ones coming up and I'm tempted, but my wife would kill me if I got another project car (I've got a Volvo 480 barn find project on my drive at the minute, so learning welding)

@@QinteQ how are you, hope you and the family are good, yes I'm popping up occasionally on the Facebook pages but not the forums often.

With the "Nivomat" Sachs self levelling shocks the better job would be the bushes, but the much easier job would very definitely be the replacement shock complete.

Ultimately it depends if you have a press, and the determination to get the old bushes out. I pushed out the centre rubber then separated a hacksaw to get the blade in the middle and cut the outer metal of the bush to split it.

Not easy but satisfying. Well once they were all done it was!

Hopefully as advised its the bushes  :), and if so very easy to do.

One of mine failed at last MoT, so bought 2 bushes from  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-REAR-SHOCK-ABSORBER-BUSH-CHRYSLER-GRAND-VOYAGER-2001-2007-SELF-LEVELLING-ONLY/332167075184?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 

Shock came off very easy considering how long it had been on there for, removed the old bushes with a mixture of bignevs hacksaw technique and a small chisel, and had the local MoT garage press in the new ones, and bolted it all together.