Known Issues And Faults

T14086

Question

22 answers to this question

Has anyone else had problems of stalling?  I have this problem and a few others who say they have.  But I do not see a big amount about it online.  Sometimes my car will suddenly stall.

Hi, what engine is fitted to your car and year of manufacturer? 

Front suspension 'noises' are common often the lower arm which even a non-genuine part will set you back £100.

Non-start issues are commonly battery, battery leads or starter connections/wiring.

Alternators are also common even with the modded 'plastic cover'.

However, all cars have issues and you say it's a lot of car for a small amount of money  :)

Front suspension 'noises' are common often the lower arm which even a non-genuine part will set you back £100.

Non-start issues are commonly battery, battery leads or starter connections/wiring.

Alternators are also common even with the modded 'plastic cover'.

However, all cars have issues and you say it's a lot of car for a small amount of money  :)

Indeed they are. Suspension on the front is a common issue, best to rip it out and replace it with better parts. If you visit rockauto.com, they are US based but still work out cheaper than buying parts in the UK, and delivery is surprisingly quick. Cheapest thing to try if you have front end knock is to replace the ARB bushes, they cost about a fiver and are simple to change. Moog parts are excellent!

Other things to look out for are the wiring loom rubbing through where it runs parallel to the aircon pipes under the bonnet (right hand side stood in front of the car), leaks from a connector on the transmission and poor/non-functioning parking brake - this is usually due to the actuators seizing up as lots of people don't use it :)  There are also a few reports of exhaust manifolds breaking up and destroying the turbo (OM642 Mercedes engine - do some googling!).

Don't let this put you off though - it's a hell of a car and most of these issues are cheap and easy to fix. I'm a big fan of mine :)

key release problem, i seen its common in these. and i have got this problem as well, 1 out of 10 times it wouldn't give me key back. and i have front suspension problem which even dealership cant find and it is driving me mad. apart of that i love my 300c crd srt design;)

Just introduced myself as a newbie. I mentioned an occasional problem I've had with my 2010 CRD Touring: ignition switching off when I'm travelling, cutting all power to braking and steering. Known issue for recall in North America but not in Europe. Anyone had same problem?

Hi, just joined the forum. Wish I'd found it sooner.

I have a 2012 300c limited edition. I use it as a PHV and rack up the miles with gusto so if it's going to go wrong it will pretty quickly

I have done just short of 60k of which 40k was in less than a year.

Mostly really happy as are my passengers who lve to arrive in a fine looking car.

However I have had several problems in the year I have owned it..

Exhaust gas cooling manifold. This is a water cooled jacket I think and when it cracks the effect is pretty dramatic. But the engine management system shut the engine down before too much damage is caused. Hairy moments though before I knew the cause..

Warped front discs. Don't leave the problem too long or you will be changing the from ARB bushes as well.

Leaking rear shock. Mistakenly diagnosed as the cause of an annoying rear end knock when transitioning between coasting and accelerating at slow speeds.

Dealer changed shock, didn't work. Changed prop shaft, still there. Removed and greased the ends of both drive shafts from the diff to the rear wheels and hay presto problem solved.

I have been getting through rear tyres big time. Just had the whole car cheked for tracking and telemetry and highlighted some big errors. Quick job now done. Should save me a fortune in rubber.

I'm devastated by the news that Fiat are dropping Chrysler fron this side of the pond and the 2015 300c and grand Voyager will not be available for sale.

300c 2012

Last post was while car was I. Warrantee 3 yrs in Sep and 60k. Now Oct and 65k what was thought to be wheel balance shudder at 70+, after tracking checks x2 and balancing x2 has now become worse.

Constant rumble over 40 and severe vibration while accelerating from 55 un upward.

Most likely diagnosis is torqu converter shudder often described as rumble strip vibration.

Does anyone know what it cost to replace TC, and what parts cost and where to get them.

Just introduced myself as a newbie. I mentioned an occasional problem I've had with my 2010 CRD Touring: ignition switching off when I'm travelling, cutting all power to braking and steering. Known issue for recall in North America but not in Europe. Anyone had same problem?

I am in the UK and sometimes when I turned the key to start it would not turn over. Remove key try again and it would work. New crank sensor improved  the issue but probably once a week it would not crank over in start position. It had the ignition module recall in January and 2 new keys all free of charge on a 59 plate. Now its perfect starts every time.

2007 300c Limited

Front end clunk: Gets worse if you replace rubber bushes with poly ones. Replaced everything other than one suspension strut. Still got clunk.

Disc/Rotors : Gone through a total of four sets from new. Tried very expensive ones and they also fell apart after 12000miles Car done just 62000 from new.

Believe I've now found possible rotor problem: Front discs larger than calliper/pads so allows rust to form on 1/4 inch of rotor front & back of the rotor!

Oil leak from one of the pipes that run over the top of ECU: Ruined said item, dealer who serviced car never picked it up.

Car went into limp home mode. Big dosh.

Gave up on rubbish rims: Bought after market ones.

CHEAP plastic door clips now needing replacing as door cards falling off. Cheap to fix but annoying.

HID/Xeon washer pump failed: Unable to source one, you have to buy entire tank unit, so adapted screen wash pump unit from a Grand Voyager. 

Rear ABS rings: Cheap enough to source and fit.

Sticky front electric windows/switch: Spray them and the runners with silicon spray.

Other than that its a great car!

Good place to obtain parts: www.buycarparts.co.uk which is part of www.autodoc.co.uk who are based in Germany

Hope any of the above helps but I've had enough, spent way too much money on this vehicle so its going before I have to start the process all over again! Wish me luck finding a buyer. :rolleyes:

Edited by AngelsEnvy

Hi, all Just to let you all know while driving my Chrysler 300c 2012 last week with my elderly parents in Norwich suddenly it came up on my instrument panel battery saver and then everything started to close down I had a quick mind to pull over and she went completely dead. When breakdown services arrived they got through to back from back seating and found my battery very hot also tried to boast her off but smoke from front connectors so they disengaged this. When delivered to Desire they had closed leaving my car in a layby.Next day they tried to get in but key just kept turning so a locksmith called and after 15mins got in.

now they have found that my alternator needs replacing and possible battery.also once up and running they will see if any other items not working which I hope they do as get the car in Dec of last year which she has only done 52000 miles. On checking for faults came across in America this problem which was number P60. And a recall was made to rectify this problem with the expense paid by Chrysler but only on 3.6litre cars nothing about UK models or 3litre diesel cars in this country. So far my bill has come to just under £1500. and as she still under warranty when purchased I hope they will pay up. So be careful if you have that warning up on dash " Battery Saver " 

Hi, as from past experience, there is a HID module situated in the engine bay on the left hand side next to the wash bottle, if you pull the plug out all the problems will go away, I had this same problem with radio going on off , mirrors dropping and wipers coming on, unplugged it and problem went away

Hello. Newbie here.

I have a 2009 300c SRT. Occasionally my radio, reverse sensor lights, windscreen wiper and other electrics will turn on and off !

Anyone know the fix ? Thanks in advance. John.

JAG, Briscoe76 posted the following. I had the same problems you describe, his tip fixed it:

Hi, did you get this problem sorted at all?

If you didn't, then its an easy fix. Open the bonnet and, and find the washer bottle. Next to that, bolted to the drivers side wing, you will find a black box. Unplug the box, and hey presto, the fault will vanish. It will also cure a few other faults, such as indicators that miss a click, rear wipers wiping on their own, reversing sensors firing up when your driving forward.

The box is the HID translator module. All it does is let the ECU know when a headlight bulbs blows. If you can live without that function then you can cure all the rest!! The HID module develops a fault, and effects lots of other things down the line.