Voyager 2.8 CRD Engine turns with little resistance

voyagerfan

Question

I originally posted this problem in April and realised I placed it in the wrong section.....!:

"I have a Voyager 2006 2.8 CRD, while using the car a few weeks ago I stopped at a junction and the engine just died, on attempting to start the engine again it did turn over but with little resistance and there was no indication of it firing up

I suspect that it MAY be the timing belt snapped but there was no banging, cluttering or anything associated with the pistons hitting the valves. The car has now done 220,000Km and the belt was replaced previously at 120,000Km"

It has now been standing in my garage for a while and recently I decided to look at the issue myself. On removing the cover I see that the timing belt is fine but the idler pulley (made of plastic!!) has split and broken off, consequently the belt has come off the cam shaft sprockets. A couple of questions:

1.  With the cam belt off I can turn the cam shaft sprockets by hand approx 1/8 of a turn and then resistance, is this correct?

2. On this particular engine what are the consequences of the timing going out of sync, is there a high probability that the pistons/valves are damaged?

Could someone please advise me on this 

Much appreciated

4 answers to this question

If there was little to no resistance, its probably touched valves sadly. And turning an eigth of a turn on the cam shafts then getting resistance could be normal, as in valves getting pushed down and touching a piston.

But other than that standard knowledge,  unfortunately I can't help you further, sorry!

20 hours ago, bignev said:

If there was little to no resistance, its probably touched valves sadly. And turning an eigth of a turn on the cam shafts then getting resistance could be normal, as in valves getting pushed down and touching a piston.

But other than that standard knowledge,  unfortunately I can't help you further, sorry!

bignev is right, the 2.8GV engine is of the interference design, i.e. it relies on the timing between crank and cams to stop valve meeting piston. If they do meet it ain't a pretty sight.