Rear hatchback opens on it's own .

Foggy

Question

Hello . I've just bought a 2.8 crd 08 plate . When I went to look at it the seller was charging the battery , story was " hasn't been used for a few weeks" anyway I noticed the boot ( rear hatch ) kept on opening . Beep beep then opening and closing by itself . Thought ok it's the flat battery or a dodgy key fob. Took it home , it started fine , drove fine , but when I got up the next morning , boot was wide open and battery was totally flat , inside lights would have drained battery . Took battery out . Charged it overnight, fitted it , and hatchback opens up and closes on it's own again . Took key fob battery out , and it still does it . Looks like I'm going to have to disconnect hatchback electrics , or is there a cure . 

Also rear park assist , I have 4 lights on all the time . Plus auto gear indication . PRND3L. All the lights light up , and eventually the correct one stays on . 

Thanks in advance for any help . Cheers des 

9 answers to this question

That seems fair enough then!! It'll definitely provide fuel for your thirst for a challenge !!

But unplugging the module for the door opener would seem like a start. Maybe it has something to do with the pinch sensors in the rubbers all round the door, but thinking on it, that wouldn't allow it to actually stay shut at all, as it would think there is a blockage and the safety system would immediately reverse and open up. Possibly a fault on the front overhead switch?

I had all the gear indicators stay on, on our first GV, it was a precursor to the Transmission Control Module losing communication with the Body Control Module. I never got it sorted. Initially it was a low battery and dodgy earth connections causing it, then it all went tits up. It would do it after starting, then shortly sort its self out.

I wish you good luck, I'll help with whatever I can! And I'm sure @RichardM will be more helpful for wiring diagrams!

Edited by bignev

Only too happy to supply diagrams if required... On the battery discharging overnight, this may be due to an old or underrated battery. Also when you've got a few moments check for excessive drain from the battery with every thing switched off. There is a great deal of information on the site regarding parasitic drain (quite often caused by a faulty audio amplifier) - If it is this just pull the fuse and check again. On the subject of the fifth door, there are reports of this on the site but have never heard how (or if) it was resolved. Pity you live so far away as I have a donor GV (2006) with a power rear door that works fine (died of gearbox failure), as bignev said this sounds like a precursor to the TCM providing another challenge. When I bought the donor I spent a bit of time trying to fix the gear problem - resolved the all gears lit  up problem (wiring problem) - thought hey ho but did not resolve the gearbox problem - kept changing gear at will .. but that's another story.

Good luck with your project (don't want to be pessemistic but it's enough of a challenge keeping a normal GV on the road.. (Yes Bignev, I agree, there ain't no such thing as NORMAL with respect to the GV..

I have the same issue and can’t work out how to fix it! Turned alarm off as keeps going off when boot opens. I live in Bristol so not good to have alarm off. Manually locking it but no way to manually lock the boot so it’s always open. Garage were useless. I changed battery as they said it was that but issue still happening. Literally stressing me out so much!!!