MJet Cam belt change+locking tool sets

FrankB

Question

Hi to all owners on this great site on a rather cool UK weekend.

Weather notwithstanding, I am hoping to do a cam belt change on my 1.6l Multijet soon. Can I ask what brand of locking tool set owners have used with success, and if possible the part number/ident/supplier.

I have been lurking on this group for a while, receiving valuable help from some great owners before buying a 1.6l diesel Delta, but now I have actually got the car, I am struggling to identify a crank/cam locking set that is not described as "universal" or for the JTD only, or just plain wrong.

The only one that I have found so far that looks the part is the Laser tools 5719 set. But the emphasis on the JTD in the adverts makes me wary.

I believe I am correct in saying that on the M-Jet the two camshafts are geared together internally, with the single timing belt drive sprocket to the cam gear on the outside of the cam cases.

The method for locking the M-Jet cams is by inserting a pin into the cam case, locating in a hole for that purpose in the camshaft, whereas the JTD has two external timing belt pulleys.

Hence the need to slacken the single timing belt pulley on the camshaft to allow the belt tension (and timing therefore) to be set correctly without the internal camshaft gearing being involved in any way.

If any of the above is wrong, which it may well be, please enlighten me. All of the above has been gleaned from reading online "information" and of course, we all know that is never wrong..:D

I have not had the opportunity to open up the belt covers or do anything else much on the car due to having a new hip fitted, so now that I am at least limping around on one stick, I an hoping to prepare for the belt job in advance.

I am also wary about buying "genuine" Gates/Contitech.etc., timing belt, tensioner pulley and water pump from fleabay, so any steers in the direction of parts suppliers who are know not to sell cloned or snide would be welcome.

I have seen various companies advertised, but any more recommendations from owners who have actually had good experiences and most welcome.

Best, Frank B

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet