Start stop unavailable, check engine and warning light

Julia

Question

Hi, I’m a Chrysler ypsilon 2013 owner and I recently had an issue with my engine. The check engine and warning lights came on, start stop was showing aa unavailable and the car went to a limp home mode. It turned out there wasn’t enough oil in it (I know, my fault!) so I filled the oil in and the light came off. Two days later, the warnings came on again and it turned out that the oil sump was leaking. I had the car fully serviced, the oil sump replaced, new spark plugs generally a deep car maintenance. When I left the garage, the warning lights were off but came on again half an hour later. I went back to the garage and it was showing that the oxygen sensor had an issue. So I had the oxygen sensor replaced, again did full diagnostics on the car and it was showing no errors. Then I drove around 300 miles with no issues, parked my car on a drive and didn’t use it for about a week. Yesterday I started the car and the engine and warning lights turned on again after less than a minute! I had this car checked 100times now and there are no mechanical faults with it. Could you please advise what the issue could be and how do I sort this out? 

1 answer to this question

Usually warning lights & particularly the stop/start system playing up are just battery voltage related.

If you don't use the car for a few days the voltage drops with things like the clock & alarm drain, and it can happen when you then start it.  If you run it for a few minutes, stop it & re-start it should clear.  I have 3 FCA cars & 2 were doing it in the cold weather lately after they'd been stood a while.

Stop/start batteries can be expensive, I replaced my Delta's 2 years ago with a non-stop/start unit and it's fine.  Both it & our Ypsilon will eventually do the stop/start thing but only after they've been running a while.  The car won't do stop/start unless it's happy with the battery voltage and if the car stops at the lights & the battery is discharging it will re-start before you do anything.