Passenger door window died

RichardM

Question

So, out on ajob this morning, eight miles on council was in the process of closing the road to repair a couple of potholes, (the whole road resembles a cart track through the Himalayas, think the road is sponsored by tyre and suspension companies). ANYWAY, dropped the passenger window to persuade the road cone minder to let me through (he kindly did)

Pressed the 'UP' button - bugger all, leaned over and tried the ns door's button, bugger all. O/S window works as does other electrics so can not be a fuse.

Sorted the job with the van's window stuck down, scrounged some polythene sheet from grateful customer, jammed into door frame and taped down bottom edge and drove off. Couldn't see through the n/s window (dodgy whilst crossing roads!), problem solved when the wind ripped the polythene off and sent it careering over the Lincolnshire fields. Could now see approaching traffic but the rain pouring through the open window was slightly disheartening.

So tomorrow (Saturday) will strip the door and see if I can sort it out, I do have a spare CRD so if the motor's died should have a spare, will update on progress. 

3 answers to this question

Morning, oops it's now 14:50 - afternoon BigNev.. greetings and felicitations even (you don't even have to look at your watch...)

Well, this morning weather was lovely, wind blowing rain cascading down and the thermometer threatening to bottom out, so undaunted, and wearing lots of clothing tried it after dropping the earth off for half an hour or so (cup of tea and a biscuit), reconnect & nowt.

Went over to CRD 2, removed switch assembly, over to the old girl, removed her switch assembly, then plugged her back together and it's working.

Up and down like the proverbial wh***'s draws so reassembled and left it like that. Thinking about it, initially the switch felt as if it had fallen to bits internally, I don't know if some dirt had got between the switch and the plastic mount but it felt fine after reassembly... who knows, anyway now got a spare switch in the glovebox.

Just one little gripe, the screws holding the switch to the plastic cover are 1/4 AF. First fittings I've come across that aren't metric but then again should anything surprise you with the 'Export' G.V. ???

With respect to you mentioning the bus, I think it should be renamed bustard , considering how archaic and temperamental it is. 

Anyway all tickety-boo for the time being (except for needing cold start when hot ):)

Have a good day.

Richard

Good evening pal!

Very glad you got it sorted, always good if you have a spare bit or two around hey!!

That's a rather good play on spelling - I quite like it :D

This one (of the 3 we've had) has always been an ungrateful sod of a car. Dealer registered demo - I'll never do that again! Well, not on a yank tank for sure. Even if it was assembled in Austria.