Battery Drain Wing Mirror Lights

bokof

Question

Morning all!

Just bought a 2008 CGV petrol 3.9 (UK) and it worked splendidly for a month, then came out the other morning and the (new) battery was flat. Charged it and it was fine again. But then the next day - same problem. Charged again and the next day fine again and fine for a week. Then yesterday flat again. After searching here i see there are many different reasons for this but none so far as i could see that mentioned the indicator lights on the wing mirrors staying on. I noticed that when the battery wasn't draining they went off after locking but when it drained they stayed on (not flashing). I disconnected them and still it drained. They are also on all the time when the car is on (solid not flashing), maybe they're supposed to be? But seems odd.

Ring a bell with anyone?

2 answers to this question

I had a similar problem to this with my Delta diesel.

Garage said I was not doing mileage during pandemic ......

Eventually replaced battery with an uprated unit.

Took into garage - put onto computer checker and battery good, but was drying before their eyes 14.71 .... 14.XXX etc

Error code came back to the clutch system!  

Elaboration: I have size big feet. In the intervening weeks when having this problem, I had somehow 'kicked / nudged / moved' a make break switch on the clutch pedal. There is no warning light - but it throws up an error code. Effectively there was a closed circuit draining the battery.

Remedy: Replace the switch* above the clutch pedal and then fabricate a 'box' to prevent it being nudged.

The *switch was ok looking from outside - but refused to open / close on examination. Stupid place for a switch was the mechanics commentary.

Has worked now for 18 months without any further problems.

Hope this maybe of use

Thanks for the suggestion but its something else as mines an auto. Its definitely and annoyingly intermittent, some days its fine. I can tell when its going to do it now, when its fine and i lock the car the alarm light is solid till its armed, when its playing up the alarm light blinks straight off. Ive also discovered that disconnecting the battery and reconnecting rectifies the problem.  Have fitted an isolation switch to ease this process till i work out where the fault lies!