Chryrser 2007, takes many tries to start with either key, then runs OK until I turn it off.

Fiona

Question

Chyrsler Grand Voyager, stow and go. 2007 model starts, then dies eventually it works.

I put the ignition key, it cranks, gos to start then dies, if I keep on turning the ignition key it eventualy starts and runs fine. If I turn it off and the  try to restart again seconds later then I get the same thing. I have removed the 12v battery for several hours and also removed the IOD fuse. That makes no difference. I have tried this with both keys. The internet tells me its a fault in the SKIM module and the fact it runs OK leads me to think its an permanant intermittent fault of the SKIM not seeing the key all the time.

Any ideas? I have seen some people talk about a dry joint in the SKIM module and as an electronic engineer that seems feasible.  I really dont want to pay a Chrysler dealer £000's of pounds to change every module at my expense so I am looking for an easy answer. I have had three GV's over the last 20 years but never had this issue.

Edited by Fiona

5 answers to this question

Hi there!

So, if it eventually starts and them it will just carry on running, (as I don't have a diesel Voyager I'm going off experience on other cars) it's possible it could be fuel drain back. As in lack of fuel pressure at the rail.  If you have or can get access to an OBD reader this should potentially help to see this - maybe!!

My van had this problem, simply caused by the non return valve on the fuel line into my filter having failed. It may be yours is on the edge.

But obviously it's just an educated guess!!

Edited by bignev

2 hours ago, bignev said:

Hi there!

So, if it eventually starts and them it will just carry on running, (as I don't have a diesel Voyager I'm going off experience on other cars) it's possible it could be fuel drain back. As in lack of fuel pressure at the rail.  If you have or can get access to an OBD reader this should potentially help to see this - maybe!!

My van had this problem, simply caused by the non return valve on the fuel line into my filter having failed. It may be yours is on the edge.

But obviously it's just an educated guess!!

Thanks, now that's a very interesting theory. I am also getting a P1130 code and that's pressure at the rail. I cant use an ODB2 reader as the Chrysler is different but I know how to get the codes displayed on the dash. A few weeks ago I had the engine stall twice at around 3000 revs going up a hill. In the previous two voyagers this was a fuel filter being blocked and replacing these sorted it out. So it could be worth looking at the fuel supply.

On 11/7/2022 at 8:06 AM, bignev said:

Please let us have updates!

I concluded that as the SKIM gave an error message only with this problem I would look at the other error codes. I had one which was low pressure at the injection manifold. This got me thinking.

A few weeks ago the engine died when going up a hill as it revved up but restarted. It died again as I accelerated off a roundabout but restarted OK. This was the same fault I have on my old GV when the fuel filters needed changing. I would run fine but die at 2500/3000 revs every time. I decided to leave it for the moment.

Remembering this I put in 20l of diesel and it seemed to start more easily. I then filled up the tank and the problems have gone away. I haven't run the tank down to the level I had the problem but that will be the final test and ill post the result if changing the fuel filters will sort it out. I read somewhere that there is no scavenger pump on the 2.8CRD just a lift pump so I wonder if the fuel flows bank when low and cant get past a clogged filter fast enough to start.

There is in fact no lift pump at all on the 2.8CRD, all the fuel is delivered by the vacuum created by the main (high pressure) pump, therefore any resistance in the fuel line, or air leakage will screw the fuel delivery completely. Mine has suffered from poor starting when the engine is hot from the day I bought it, never solved the problem except by squirting cold start - seems odd but works. Fuel filter housing is always suspect, replaced mine some time ago when the diaphragm gave up the ghost.