key and fob

brit644

Question

Anyone know of a source for key and fob ? [I know the key itself has a transponder]

[Mech says he left it on wheel for me to collect vehicle,wasn't there, Probably wont admit he lost it, luckily had a spare, but this shows how necessary a spare is ]

I know you can get a key cut but the transponder is usually donated from original. Then of course theres the fob..which am told can be paired to the original. 

Tks

Keith

2 answers to this question

Hi There!

Yep - first get hold of a second hand fob, I got mine off ebay, albeit about 6 years ago.

Then - or search for and speak to them and book them before - get a good auto locksmith to pop along and cut you a new key, with a new transponder, he will simply programme that in, absolute doddle for them that part.

The slightly more tricky part will be coding the "new" fob to the car. A pin code number was needed on ours, that we didn't have in our books. But of course Chrysler have beggered off out of the UK so it might be less easy than it was. Or the locksmith will know a way round it. But do not believe anyone if they say you need a brand new fob. You don't. Or that it can't be done. YES IT CAN.

If they can't do it, someone will be able to.

Like the analogy of a puncture repair at tyre shops - "It's too close to the edge we can't repair it" As in "THEY" can't, but IT can. Because it could be Vulcanised but very few have the skills or equipment.

Good luck!