Tyre Wear

damillane

Question

My front tyres keep running out of tread on outside edge. Had tracking done not helped and I've just had a garage tell me that it will keep happening due to weight transfer when going round corners or roundabouts. Does anyone else have the same issue and how do you resolve it? I can't be buying tyres every month

12 answers to this question

hi damillane had the same problem, was advised by local tyre man to fit van tyres they have a more rigid sidewall so do not wear on the outside edge.fitted mine august 2013 and they are just starting to get low so will probably have to replace them this year hope this helps

Yep sounds like somethings wrong.

Our 2 previous Grand Voyagers never killed tyres, 8000 miles on a set of Goodyear NCT before we changed it and loads left. Our main car usually sees over 12.000 miles on a set of fronts, and not expensive ones, Accelera work well for us on ours. It's not a Ferrari so don't drive it like one hey.

You don't necessarily want van tyres but definitely "extra Load" XL on the side wall.

Our current one (2005 stow and go) had your problem when we bought it, well worn on outside, especially passenger side. One "tyre expert" said it was ok, but my gut feeling was it wasn't and a second found it was a little out and adjusted the tracking, early days yet but hope its sorted.

Interesting as I'm noticing mine doing similar, I've just been in and had a new steering rack fitted, so it's due going back in for a checkup shortly by the same garage (a well known uk-wide fitter) so I'm going to quiz them over this and get them to take a proper look into it. I'll let you know what they find/advise me on it.

My Goodyear NCT tyres would last 15,000 miles and often sufferred punctures. They were particularly useless at getting the car moving when one wheel was on mud. That is something that often happens around here in winter as we don't have kerbs at the sides of our narrow roads.

I switched to General Grabber AT 215/65R16 tyres 22,000 miles ago and they still have at least 7mm of tread left. They wear evenly across the tyre at 36psi and no noticeable change better or worse in fuel economy or noise. They perform absolutely brilliantly on wet roads and I will never fit anything else on my Voyager.

post-310-0-83946800-1437646802_thumb.jpg

Edited by vvv

I know it's a very old post but my bugger is doing it again.

Fitted new wishbones, drop links & anti roll bar bushes mid 2017, eventually got it set so it drives straight ahead and seemed OK.

But now it's scrubbing outsides on fronts again. .....

Just on hols in pwllheli so had the guys who set it beautifully 2 years ago check it - and now it's worse, for chuffs sake. Steering slightly right for straight ahead. But the print says the camber is not spot on the middle of the range, well within limits though, so I'm planning on buying a gauge and bugger about with it myself.

Initially I'm thinking it was new parts related, but as I said above it had done it when we got it, then fine after setting. And fine after reset after new complete struts.

Oh and it's still on the same make and size of tyres - so not part of the equation sadly.

Edited by bignev

Cheers Gordy!

I actually popped back into the garage to let them know that no matter what the computer says it's always good to give the customer an honest answer - "Did you take it for a drive as I suggested, as I've had it back before driving off centre?"

The correct answer was - "No".

In fairness to them they offered to look at it immediately - as I'd already said we were setting off home - if we could spare an hour.

So they did, and it's now driving in a straight line again. And also didn't seem to be scrubbing the tyres on the 125 mile trip home.

I'll try to keep it updated!

I feel like I will buy a camber checking tool anyway !!!!!

Edited by bignev

I didn't find my pictures from last year till not long ago so thought I would add it on this thread. Was doing top hat strut bearing at the time so took pictures. As I remember it was mentioned on here that other guys don't have these elongated holes on their struts to allow for adjustment. I just replaced mine back in same position where nut had left a mark. 

Being drilling and tapping out a Jounce buffer 8mm stud that had sheared in today...No direct drilling due to axle dead below makes it harder...Having extra beer to console myself now.... 

Thanks for that gordy/bignev, I've been having the same thing, and glad you brought this thread back up!

Mine are STILL doing it (That's after the new rack years back, new top mounts, ARB joints), It's been aligned several times (Last time the buggers also chewed up my steering boots so need to replace those too which is a pain!).

So the takeaway advise is?? Get the tracking checked and checked again? I'm not adverse to getting it checked and paying since going through tyres is getting annoying.

Hope that beer was nice Gordy!

Yes it seems to be that if they don't DOUBLE check it, and that's hard work and mither and in fairness shouldn't be necessary, then it will be a teeny bit out.

From the 2 computer prints, after 1st adjustment, then back on so should be the same, they were quite different.

Camber went from (in degrees) 0.1 / 0.6 L/R to 0.2 / 0.5, then back to 0.1 / 0.6 at second adjustment.

Tracking went (in mm) 0.5 / 0.4 to 0.8 / 1.3, then 0.9 / 0.6 at second adjustment.

What's very strange is that the rear changed too......

Tracking not camber.....

From outside of permissable range to OK! !??

And was different from the first visit. But it was loaded on the second - but does have "self levelling nivomat suspension".

So did they just frig the machine to get rid of me......

Oh dear. The next few weeks should tell if it's different again.

Edited by bignev

Hic Burp niceee brew...Ahhhhh worst bit now after cleaning up top hat rear discs. Discs, shoes and pads were ok even though I got new ones. Adjusting these rear shoes so Handbrick works before MOT on Thursday coming....

Now I've studied the handbrake screw adjusters and how they work and its a limp wrist movement with screwdriver in the hole of the back plate to take up slack. Then check if handbrake works and how well...

And no its not adjusted equal sides as I've found, offside with its longer brake cables has to come on first to make it work...

Handbrake cables at mo loose as loose as I've got my 4mm drill in hold back slots...

I deserve more beer for this dilemma....