Boot Auto-Opening

Nello

Question

Anyone else seen those videos of owners modifying the Taligate struts so it Auto opens on release from the fob?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odV9m-oDalA&index=3&list=FL1TcbiXMEAJUcPogJhrjSZw

All overseas owners but it seems you can get springs inserted into the strut to get this up and running? Anyone know what you need and how?

Where the hell did you find that!?

That's got my name written all over it lol! :D

TBH it looks like it's just springs you need as the fob already opens the boot, so presumably the springs just give it the shove it needs to push the tailgate upwards!? 

I wonder what the springs are from as they are small and coated black?

Theres an FB Italian group called NUOVA LANCIA DELTA FANS CLUB ............ I've just shared them to you on FB Mike to join  B) Some good images of Italian owners. Its mostly all in Italian but theres several videos of this being done. In fact I think I've found a supplier for the full "kit". I've mailed them and will let you know - Its only about £16 all in  - yes just springs and a stopper which compresses on closure but have enough 'push' to open on release.......  

BTW some cracking Italian Deltas on there as well - many customised......

Edited by Nello

Theres an FB Italian group called NUOVA LANCIA DELTA FANS CLUB ............ I've just shared them to you on FB Mike to join  B) Some good images of Italian owners. Its mostly all in Italian but theres several videos of this being done. In fact I think I've found a supplier for the full "kit". I've mailed them and will let you know - Its only about £16 all in  - yes just springs and a stopper which compresses on closure but have enough 'push' to open on release.......  

BTW some cracking Italian Deltas on there as well - many customised......

Cheers fella, I've joined! :P

It's good to find new sources of info and see what our Italian cousins are doing...

Found the installation instructions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qKUgbbHthM

...and the eBay advert.

http://www.ebay.it/itm/AUTOMATIC-OPENING-BOOT-TAILGATE-SPRINGS-LIFTING-KIT-ALFA-ROMEO-MITO-/231475227354?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_101&hash=item35e4ffaada

Think this is the right one for our cars. It says Alfa Romeo Mito in the title, but further down the ad it lists our Delta if I've understood the google translation properly ;)

Feb 23rd! Though when I ordered mine it was the last one for the Delta - must've got a new batch in for your Mike! Going on my previous form you'll probably have yours all done before me anyway so I can use as a guide! :lol:  

Edited by Nello

Well it would seem a few of the Italian Delta owners are having a problem with the panel gaps since fitting the spring.

Quote:

''Boys trunk springs mounted in 5 min . Beautiful and useful , but they have a much lower defect ... too ... it 's trunk and extended from the roof and closes flush with the bumper ... hope springs softening and reducing pressure on the hood returns a bit in his position . .. who else has encountered this?''

There are a few replies agreeing and one who mentions the glass too...

It will be interesting to see how bad it is and whether it will get better over time as the spring eases...

Received mine already Mike........... I won't have a chance to fit them until the weekend at the earliest. I did see some translated comments. Any idea what he's referring to there? ("much lower defect?")....... Cannot see how these can increase the panel gap between the top of the boot lid and the roof edge across the top - If thats what some are referring to?

Edited by Nello

Received mine already Mike........... I won't have a chance to fit them until the weekend at the earliest. I did see some translated comments. Any idea what he's referring to there? ("much lower defect?")....... Cannot see how these can increase the panel gap between the top of the boot lid and the roof edge across the top - If thats what some are referring to?

possibly there is a certain amount of slack built into the hinge mechanism it might be designed to move slightly as it lifts up and by adding the springs there is a constant upward pressure even when shut. does anyone understand what the rubber pieces are for that he advertises separately? Web translation didn't seem to make sense to me 

Yeah it took me by surprise considering that there was still one strut operational! :lol:

I couldn't get to my vice as it was buried in my full to bursting garage... I just used a pair of  mole grips wrapped in a cloth and a pair of pliers to unscrew the end. It didn't put up much resistance to be fair and was easy to unscrew by hand once cracked off.