Boot Auto-Opening

Nello

Question

Anyone else seen those videos of owners modifying the Taligate struts so it Auto opens on release from the fob?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odV9m-oDalA&index=3&list=FL1TcbiXMEAJUcPogJhrjSZw

All overseas owners but it seems you can get springs inserted into the strut to get this up and running? Anyone know what you need and how?

OK - Fitted mine the other day. Yes it works well in Auto-opening the boot but what they don't tell you (and what I should have realised), is that in return it makes closing the boot harder.

Once 3/4 of the way down to the point where the springs are being compressed its needs a weighty hand to force the boot back down again with these fitted. I tried it a few times - decided I didn't like it and have removed mine now. Only a few quid so was worth a try I suppose but as a non factory item I should've guessed really...... If anyone wants them to try let me know and I'll pop them in the post...........

Edited by Nello

As the boot closes the strut compresses the spring - the rubber stopper just stops the end of the spring against itself once compressed and stops the spring moving away from the end. The spring is actually fully compressed when the boots shut so I can imagine theres quite a bit of pressure against the boot lock whilst closed......A cheap solution to echo those Range Rovers / Audi's but I think they have electronic motors to do this................As we mentioned the tailgate is suprisingly heavy without the struts attached. Whilst fitting - when I only had one done - the pressure on one side actually forces the tailgate to the side preventing it locking which shows how much force these apply..... Hey-ho