2004 Voyager Se - Screen But No Dvd?

alexjjmiles

Question

All,

New joiner here, and hello from Luxembourg. I have just imported a 2004 Chrysler Voyager SE (with 3.3 litre engine) from the Netherlands, and very much enjoying the car so far (perfect for kids and dogs). We do however have a slightly perplexing spec on the car - it has a flip-down screen in the back, and apparently no DVD / VHS player installed. The screen has two buttons on it, neither of which appear to do anything. I do have the RCA input on the LHS rear wheel arch, however.

My questions are therefore the following:

1) Has anyone ever seen such an odd standard install before, or is it likely that the car has been 'robbed' of its DVD / VHS player at some point in its lifetime?

2) I was hoping to simply plug a portable DVD player into the RCA jack - has anyone had any experience of using this jack for this purpose?

3) I am hoping to do (2) above without the need to also acquire some sort of remote control (either a Chrysler or multi-function 'learning' type). Again, has anyone had any experience of powering up one of these screens without such a device?

Any assistance most gratefully received - pictures of the screen in question can be provided if that would be helpful.

9 answers to this question

Update to the above...

1) Plugged a portable DVD player into the RCA input in LHS rear wheel arch.

2) The stereo did not appear to recognise that there was anything plugged in, as it would not switch input from radio (I understand from information given elsewhere that the stereo should detect a connection automatically).

3) No life at all on the screen itself.

Next steps is to run a multi-meter across the connection to the screen to see whether it has any power. After that it will be testing the RCA input to confirm whether it is also working.

What set up do you have at the front?

Mine is same model but 06 it has a stereo head unit at the top, ac/climate control in the middle and a dvd at the bottom.

As far as my system goes you need the original remote to turn the screen on. I use media player running through the 3 inputs and power from the cig lighter socket.

At the front I have a radio / single CD unit, climate control in the middle, and a slot below (above the cupholders). However, there is evidence that the central binnacle has been tampered with in the past, so it is not beyond the realms of possibility that the DVD player has been removed at some point.

The concern I have at present is that the stereo does not appear to recognise anything being plugged in to the RCA input. Unless the stereo takes its feed for the input from this socket from the screen only, then either the input is not connected to the stereo (which seems unlikely given that it is basically a part of the amp), or it is simply defective.

I have now purchased a multi-function remote control with an automatic programming function, which I will attempt to use to turn on the screen in the next day or so. Should this work (and some of the armchair electronics above actually be accurate) then I will run a portable DVD player through the RCA input, and charged via the power port underneath.

Updates to follow.

@@Semmysonic - there is no aux button on the head unit. It has a casette and single CD player, and clearly the unit has the functionality / was designed to have a CD changer connected up. Thanks for the heads-up on the functionality though - this will help with troubleshooting.

@@QinteQ - thanks for this, it is helpful. The multi-function remote I purchased earlier in the week (despite having an auto-scanning function) has yet to pick up the necessary frequency to turn the screen on. Given your advice (and that which I have seen elsewhere) it looks like I will have to track down a genuine Mopar remote. However, going to test the screen first before heading down that route.

Screen is coming out for power testing tomorrow - updates to follow.

​@@bignev - exactly. The reason for the initial post in the first place was that I thought the setup was in itself rather odd. However, I understand that in 'non overhead-rail' cars such as mine, the DVD player actually fits into a slot just ahead of the screen itself. Whether that has any bearing on your point about the 'sat nav screen' head unit, I have no idea.

For the avoidance of all doubt, I have now taken pictures of both the head unit and the screen - see link below:

https://imgur.com/a/bmLRaoq

I anticipate that, should a DVD player be present in the car, it would sit where the blanking plate is just in front of the screen.

I note that there is a Mopar remote for sale presently on that most popular of online auction sites, specifically for this model (i.e. non overhead rail) - that looks to be the next step, I think.