New To Chrysler.

brit644

Just purchased a 2007 grand Stow N Go

Had the vehicle health checked by excellent mechanic [friend] It was throwing the egr solenoid open code. He cleaned the valve and did all the tests tosee if functions ok, appears it does. Plugged it back in then tested down the road, plume of black smoke. He disconnected the hose from the valve and drove great..kinda. He says the solenoid is a spurious make with no part numbers. Wondered is the solenoid available without having to purchase valve assembly too?

Anyway, I left for europe midnite sailing. It appears to run ok...However as I began to climb the hills from France into Spain the temp soared to just under red, I backed off to 40mph in an attempt to not pass the red line...Kept climbing into red then back down to mid on the decents. I found that once back at sea level mid temp it stayed. Am I stupid in thinking that the altitude [less oxygen] is playing with the mixture. Can't believe a relatively modern vehicle could suffer such.

BTW...have noticed if I kick down it does smoke some...otherwise performs ok.

Have to say Im a little bit bitten by the thing,comfort,..and extras not seen in many.

Keith.

Hi Keith and welcome!

From what you describe I'd suspect the radiator is slightly cacked up, but not massively as you don't say it has a problem at speed on the flat.

Take a look at the recent topics regarding radiators and coolant, it will put you in the right direction I reckon.

You are correct that the electronics will adjust the mixture to cope with the altitude.

They are VERY comfortable cruisers aren't they! Mine still pees me off with its regular little problems, but it's still a cracking car for the job, not much gets close for any money.

Tech help, on version 4, is the better area for getting answers.

Cheers!

Nev

Thanks Nev

Previous owner had the timing belt and water pump done maybe couple months ago [have the receipts] However I have seen old fluid re-used in the past. Also dont think Ive ever seen expansion so thick of rust/sediment. Pretty sure a good top down flush thru wasn't undertaken.

Sadly these days strict maintenance schedules aren't thought of until your sat waiting for the AA truck to arrive.

I'll check on the forum you suggest.

BTW..I reconnected egr this morn..intermittently still showing code for short on solenoid [ valve is fine, as mentioned thoroughly checked]  Cant seem to source a stand alone solenoid....They must be out there as a spurious one is fitted..no markings nor part number.

Thanks again.