Ive Finally Done My Brakes Rebuild

glitteringprize

Question

Just before xmas i decided to renew my discs and pads.Little did i know of the horrors that were hiding and damn dangerous.Pass front,bleed nipple siezed,sliding pins bent and seized,rubber seals perrished.Pass rear,handbrake actuator siezed and upside down,pads worn,drivers rear,handbrake actuator seized,shoes worn to metal,mounting pins and springs broken allowing shoes to rotate.Drivers front,caliper seized.All discs were corroded and worn.So i have fitted new discs and pads,new handbrake shoes and mounting kit,rebuilt front caliper carrier,had both front calipers rebuilt.I reset handbrake shoes using a measuring gauge.Finally bled all brakes to pull a litre of fresh fluid through and went out and bedded them in with the 60mph to 20mph several times option.After 6 weeks and hard work its finally working as it should.Cost a bit though.

4 answers to this question

.I reset handbrake shoes using a measuring gauge.

what where did you measure and why ?

I got to replace my rears soon

the guage is a caliper that measures internal one side and external on the other.simply set the gauge to inside dia of the rear hub then using the other side pass over the shoes and adjust handbrake until it just touches as you pass gauge over.This needs to be top and bottom centre of the shoes.