Grand Voyager Gearbox Issue, Need Gearbox Code

Nelix

Question

Hi All

I have a friend who has 2012 Grand Voyager LTD CRD  Automatic 2.8Ltr.  She's been having a few issues with the gearbox not shifting.  A garage ran a diagnostic and said it was her temperature sensor lol, I told her it wouldn't be that but changed it anyway as it obviously had an issue to be flagged up on the diag.

She took it back to another garage who ran a diagnostic and it came up with a Transmission Fluid Pressure Sensor/Switch fault.

My question/s are as follows:

Is the switch internal or External?

I've read in a couple of places that the entire solenoid pack needs to be replaced, is this correct?

Where would I find the Gearbox Code?

Kind Regards

Nelix

15 answers to this question

Hello, the gearbox on that is ultradrive 62te. Do you have the transmission diagnostic codes? I can look them up for you in the chrysler workshop manual.

Depending on which switch solenoid is at fault are part or not from the solenoid pack.

When was oil and filter changed last in the transmission and was atf+4 used?

All switches solenoids are inside the gearbox, except a few sensors.

I can only assume from what you described so far that could be range switch related.

If trans oil and filter was never changed or changed recently (with not confirmed type of transmission oil) this would be first call in adressing the issue.

As a note, yes temperature sensor on the engine can create some funny behaviour in relation to transmission and was reported few times in other places.

As long as no mechanical internal issue is involved should be a relative easy fix as transmision does not have to come off. The problem we have in uk tho is that are not many places that would fix a autobox, and fewer that will fix it without doing a full recondition.

Thanks, SpAwNtoHell

I'll check on the trans fluid but I don't believe it has been done, that may well be the first port of call.

I'll see if she got the Diag Codes as well and report back.

We have a place here in the North East who specialize in Gearbox's (http://austrin-engineering.co.uk/), however, they are extremely expensive from what I have been told.

Just got confirmation of the Trouble/Diagnostic Code:

P083B Transmission Fluid Pressure Sensor/Switch "G" Circuit Range/Performance

Also, Fluid/Filter have not been changed.

Thanks

Edited by Nelix

I will post here a list of the codes for that gearbox when i get home tonight, will take it from there, as on the side for the code i will have in the system the checking troubleshoot procedure for the code so probably you will be able to eliminate most of the causes yourself. Just had a look on my email where i have a layout of the solenoids and looks like that is located on the side of valve body not sure if is replaceable individually at this point but i will find out.

Sorry for late reply but seems i do not get notifications via e-mail from this forum.

Sorry for late reply but seems i do not get notifications via e-mail from this forum.

I don't appear to get notifications either but will keep checking back.

Thanks for the help so far.

I'm hoping the switch/sensor in question is external so that I can help my friend out by replacing it myself as she cannot afford a garage bill at the moment.

Thanks again

hello, this is going to be a looong post...

P083B-LC PRESSURE SWITCH RATIONALITY

Theory of Operation

The Transmission system uses three pressure switches to monitor the fluid pressure in the L/R, LC, and OD elements. The pressure switches are continuously monitored for the correct states in each gear. The LC pressure switch monitors the fluid pressure to the LC clutch to confirm proper operation of the LC solenoid. If the LC pressure switch is identified as closed in P or N, the code will immediately be set and normal operation will be allowed for that given key start. If the problem is identified for 3 successive ignition cycles, the transmission will go into Limp-in mode.

• When Monitored:

Whenever the engine is running.

• Set Condition:

The DTC is set if one of the pressure switches are open or closed at the wrong time in a given gear. If the problem is identified for 3 successive key starts, the transmission will go into Limp-in mode and the MIL will turn on after 10 seconds of vehicle operation. 

Possible Causes
  RELATED TCM POWER INPUT DTCS PRESENT
  LOSS OF PRIME DTC PRESENT
  (T81) LC PRESSURE SIGNAL CIRCUIT OPEN
  (T81) LC PRESSURE SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORT TO GROUND
  (T81) LC PRESSURE SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORT TO VOLTAGE
  TRANSMISSION SOLENOID/TRS ASSEMBLY
  POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE

and ....

Diagnostic Test

1. CHECK IF RELATED TCM DTCS ARE PRESENT

With the scan tool, read DTCs

Are there any TCM Power Input DTCs present also?

Yes

No

2. CHECK FOR LOSS OF PRIME DTC

With the scan tool, check for other DTCs.

Is the DTC P0944 present also?

Yes

No

3. CHECK TO SEE IF P083B IS CURRENT

With the scan tool, view DTCs.

Is the status Active for this DTC or is the STARTS SINCE SET counter 2 or less?

Yes

No

• Go To 8

4. PCM AND WIRING

Turn the ignition off to the lock position.
Remove the Starter Solenoid relay from the TIPM.

CAUTION: Removal of the Starter Solenoid relay from the TIPM will prevent the vehicle from being started in gear.

WARNING: The Starter Solenoid relay must be removed from the TIPM. Failure to do so can result in personal injury or death.

Install the Transmission Simulator, Miller tool #8333 and the Electronic Transmission Adapter kit.
Ignition on, engine not running.
With the Transmission Simulator, turn the Pressure Switch selector to LC.
With the scan tool, monitor the LC Pressure Switch state while pressing the Pressure Switch Test button on the Transmission Simulator.

Did the LC Pressure Switch state change?

Yes

if is the switch to blame... i was right... is inside, you will need to get dirty... i have some pdf's for this gearbox if you pm a e-mail i will e-mail it over. I would eliminate all the simple parts(electrical parts) from above before getting complicated... if you are not mechanically minded and electronics minded is going to be difficult ...

Hope this helps.

Hi Nelix. I just stumbled across this thread although I have a 2004 model with auto box problems. Diagnostic is coming up with "auto box temperature sensor". You say you changed it on your friends vehicle but "it wouldn't be that lol". Please, please can you or somebody elaborate? I am being told there is no such thing.

Hi again. I think I've worked this out. I reckon my mechanic has been wasting my time. He definitely told me "gearbox temperature sensor". I wrote it down in front of him but I suspect it actually read or meant engine temperature sensor, which is why replacing it is "lol".

Thanks to anyone who was thinking of helping. I will get back to mechanic clarify the diagnostic readout probably replace engine temp. sensor anyway & go from there.