Grand Voyager Rt 2008-2011 Diagnostic

SpAwNtoHell

Question

Hello, I want to buy a diagnostic for this voyagers mk5 for the main purpose of reading the fault codes mainly. What do you guys use recommend? Interface/software/etc

Note: I am not after the diagnostics that go in 4 digits.Not really interested in the other makes. Main purpose is Chrysler grand voyager RT. ENS engine

PS: right now i am running in circles with a engine on light and i cannot figure out what it is for as i do not have even a limp mode... and my scanners connect and find nothing... but are still able to reset it.

Edited by SpAwNtoHell

17 answers to this question

DRB3 is the all singing, all dancing one, but it'll cost an arm and a leg. 

Search the 4th generation forum, there's folks on there with software that works. 

Not sure if it works on the mk5, but the key dance should give you codes if the engine management light is on. 

the "key dance" as you call it i assume is the procedure on off tree times, that does not work on mk5, already tried.

if you mean DRB3 it is  indeed a arm and a leg maybe a kidney also if new. For sure must be other options just to read some codes. I am surprised also by the lack of activity in the mk5 section here. 

I already have the dealer service workshop manual for the mk5 but ... without the dtc i am in the dark.

the "key dance" as you call it i assume is the procedure on off tree times, that does not work on mk5, already tried.

It works on my mk5 though.

i wonder if i do it the wrong way then? is it explained anywhere except this video? or this?  and mine does this one....

Edited by SpAwNtoHell

The video is exactly how I do it too. Do you turn the key from off to position 2 and back to off? I don't think it works from 1 to 2 then back to 1.

@@Taffy, I edited the post with 3 links, last link is mine. So... MIL is on, even after starting the engine, and the code is ------- and done after, only started today, normally after ignition on, after all modules do their checks abs, esp, tmps.... engine light stays on till started, when started should go off, now is on all the time. I thought that i am checking for DTC the wrong way, my cheapo also says no DTC, even with engine running... 

I once used a dashcam connected to the permanently live power socket. I returned to the car after a couple of days to find the battery flat. After using my booster to start the car, the EML stayed on. The code given was that of low system voltage. I decided not to switch off the EML but to wait and see what would happen now that the problem was no longer present. The EML went out by itself after a few days.

Perhaps yours will too if no fault is present any more. It could have been a hiccup. I would give it about a week then if it is still on a trip to the dealer might be on the cards.

I once used a dashcam connected to the permanently live power socket. I returned to the car after a couple of days to find the battery flat. After using my booster to start the car, the EML stayed on. The code given was that of low system voltage. I decided not to switch off the EML but to wait and see what would happen now that the problem was no longer present. The EML went out by itself after a few days.

Perhaps yours will too if no fault is present any more. It could have been a hiccup. I would give it about a week then if it is still on a trip to the dealer might be on the cards.

Right... back to drawing board. Last night i used the cheapo tool on the car and noticed it can see 3 modules of the car only(not a clue which ones but probably engine is one of them), another 8 modules are N/A to read... Now i can only assume that the EML reacts to one of those, but the key dance also does not access that module to display the code. The funny thing is i used the option erase all codes on the reader and it put EML off .... i was not expecting it to do anything really... to convince myself it sees the engine dtc i disconnected the MAF, and ...P0100 mass air flow sensor, done the key dance and got the same... put it back cleared the code all fine. Took the car for a 12 mile drive...that is 45 minutes this side of the woods all fine... stopped at the petrol station to get a coffee, jumped back in started, 0.5 miles later engine light on... If your guess is that is no code on the key dance your right... same on the reader. This time i was alone in the car no controls doors messed up with except me on the steering wheel... so i am excluding media system or something like that. It cannot be a weak battery as i checked that already...

i was looking at this Witech clone...but not really convinced,..

If you decide to go for it, please let me know how well it performs. I would be very interested if it is all it claims to be. My own tool is nothing more than a cheap bluetooth ELM327 dongle and the torque app, but it has always met my uncomplicated needs.

I will update the topic, but seems to be the best option to read everything except a drb3 i found second hand for 900£, i will decide between this witech clone and delphi2015r3 price wise is not much of a difference. What i know none will be able to perform software updates and flashes but my purpose is to maintain and be able to repair any isues that apear. Past experience with other makes is it should that is worth... but never experienced so much lack of info like with this crysler... and stealerships... we all know how that goes...

For now i asked the seller some questions i need answers to... if the answers to the questions match my expectations i will hit the buy button.

My cheap diagnostic is based on the same chip as yours... and yes looks good enough for most things but seems like i stumbled on a issue is not that simple.

Ok, this what i sent to the seller:

Hello, how this works, what it does not do? I assume it needs to be used with a laptop tablet, what are the requirements? Win vs ? 32? 64?. I am not planning to update but do i need to be disconected completly from the internet or is fine as long as i do not update? It connects to all crysler grand voyager rt/mk5? To see live data and status? I am askimg as curent tool cannot read all that is wrong, as some stuff are not displayed even by the built in car diagnostic.

And the reply:

Hey there,

Thanks for your inquiry! To answer your questions:

After you receive the parcel, install the software on your computer (windows 7, 32bit will be ok)

After software installation is completed, send me your teamviewer id and password for us to activate it for you, then you can connect to car star test.

You can choose to use the internet or fine, either option is fine...just make sure NOT TO UPDATE it by yourself. This device is not blocked or damaged by connecting to the internet.

It can work with most Chrysler cars, but we can't guarantee it will work with ALL models. Please keep this in mind!

Maybe i miss something but he cannot state that it works on my model... and about teamviewer part i do not agree. I will get the delphi one.

Edited by SpAwNtoHell

Hello, time to update this, I managed to read the codes in the end... Either Launch diagnostic will read this Chrysler properly or Autel diagnostics. As a side note seems to be a great deal of counterfeit Autel and Launch on ebay and amazon as they appear tempting as are less the half price. I spent a lot of time ordering stuff and returning it, and even finding a garage with the above diagnostics was hard as some have some old models not updated and are not better then my generic scanner or key dance. 

Anyway seems like i have stored P0740 and P0087.... and this codes are not shown by key dance... at this point i do not know if is a wiring issue or is more complicated.

I got the autel MD808pro uk. Straight from autel

https://www.autel.uk/products/mid-range-tools/md808pro-uk-edition/

Cannot comment on how deep it goes but seems is not leaving any stone unturned as far i can tell... but again like someone stated in anether topic, not easy to get something better then keydance under 400£. I skipped launch as the only one that i could confirm it works was in the 4 digit price, and i am not talking about the ebay counterfit crap. For a normal person owner i am not sure that is justified in price even the autel md808 as many people do not understand live data and the functions. I am going to use the autel on other cars also so for me was justified.

Another update on this thread I personally think well worth it:

https://appcar-diagfca.com/en/supported-vehicles/chrysler/chrysler-towncountry/

I tested this with this interface:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OBDLink-SX-ELM327-compatible-USB-Diagnostic-Interface-OBDWiz-Software/161932865237?hash=item25b3f36ed5:g:2n0AAOSwNm5ZuT5n

It can read all 29 modules in my GV RT limited, from door modules lights, dvd's transmission engine abs and able to perform some configurations also. Also i can read live data from engine PCM module and gearbox...

It costed me in total under 90£ and i am using it with a win10 laptop 32bit. The only issue I found so far is that i can read fuel rail pressure only on idle, and that the licence is tied to a single VIN.

Conclusion: this is pretty cheap(a garage charges at least 25£ every time you want a scan for dtc and not all are shown on key dance) and can read more stuff from this Chrysler then the 400£+ tools

Disclaimer: I am not associated with any of the sellers i linked, except that i bought the program licence and interface to use on my own car.