Smoking Exhaust Sat In Traffic

8953lewis

Question

Hi all

This is my first post i have a 2007 2.8crd xs grand voyager.

Yesterday was sat in traffic when i noticed the refection on the road (sun shining across car) that my car appeared to be smoking fairly heavily i looked in the rear view mirror & could see smoke rising across the rear window, so stopped turned off engine & proceeded to check the car, popped the bonnet checked all levels, all ok so carried on in traffic again NO more smoke!!!! can anyone help as to why or what caused this?

thanks 

Mark

2 answers to this question

Hi Trev

Thanks for the reply, a lot of my journeys are only about 20-30 mins long but on this particular day i had been driving the car for around an hour, I used to have a citroen c8 (for my sins) & every so often that used to regenerate the dpf, and as i have only had my voyager for a month was not sure if they did the same thing.

now i know that,s one worry out of the way.

Regards

Mark

Hi Mark, and welcome to the forum.

Can I ask if you do short journeys in the car or long ones ?

I am wondering if your car had decided that the DPF (The device of the devil, fitted to modern diesels) needed to regenerate, this would possibly cause your fumes.

A long journey would keep the valve hot enough to not need regeneration, whilst short journeys could trigger the regeneration to keep the valve clear.

Trev