Chrysler Paint Jobs - Was Rusty Door Pillars

Penguin2007

Question

Hi Folks

My replacement door 'vanity panels' replaced by my dealer in late September. The paint finish on two was 'see through' and a third was chipped.

Already one panel , the chipped one, has decided to become rusty and is colouring the paint finish.

My dealer has ordered in, at their expense, a new sides worth (3) of offside panels.

The paint status leaves one somewhat to be amazed, as Chrysler original parts, supplied in their approved packaging ....

All three panels devoid of paint, the central panel, has been dropped and paint cracked.

All panels are being returned to Chrylser UK.

I have uploaded iPhone photo's:

Chipped paint - view just above and left of order number

No paint - self evident

A third photo shows no paint on the base of a part - but cannot for some reason trim out the dealership name / address

I am * off with the quality of spare parts - no wonder that this thread has so many comments.

Someone should really take a close look at the quality of these parts at Chrysler.

The dealer has arranged with me, to have the fitted parts removed / stripped / repainted at his expense.

I will not buy another Chrysler again ......

Penguin 2007

post-101-0-32825000-1414237344_thumb.jpg

post-101-0-72180400-1414237400_thumb.jpg

12 answers to this question

Whilst it does not excuse the situation I think those would have been painted by an outside supplier, fiat should be more vigilant with supplier quality than that although I recall the pillar trims on dedra and delta 2 having similar issues so it is taking them a long time to sort out! It's silly really because something structurally not that important ruins the whole ownership experience. If mine fail I think I'll get them powder coated. The rover 75/mg ZT used to suffer similar issues incidentally on very similar trims Edited by Rossocorsa

Hi Rossocorsa

I suggested powder coating to my dealer....

Thinks that repainting them would be better (cheaper( for the dealership.

The strip down / repaint / reassemble of doors will take the best part of a week.....

The delights of a loan car again, with horrible seats, a petrol engine thats drinks fuel, and the embarrassment of same, leaves me somewhat disheartened

Hi Rossocorsa

I suggested powder coating to my dealer....

Thinks that repainting them would be better (cheaper( for the dealership.

The strip down / repaint / reassemble of doors will take the best part of a week.....

The delights of a loan car again, with horrible seats, a petrol engine thats drinks fuel, and the embarrassment of same, leaves me somewhat disheartened

I thought that the panels just screwed on?

Apparently not.... (info supplied to me via dealer)

Door has to be stripped down / door cards / electrics ....

Vanity panel removed ... moved across town to painters ... prepared ... painted ... et al .... returned ... refitted.

Have been advised that it will be at least 4 days if not 5.

Totally p***** off with it.

Has anyone got a contact name at Chrysler UK for me to moan to?

Chris

To access 3 & 4 - you have to get into the door itself?

There appear to be no screw heads / bolt heads accessible from the 'front of door' so to speak.

As previously stated - just need it sorting, and hopefully a good job done.

A shame as I like the car, and it certainly does not owe me much more, when doing 70mph down the motorway returning 55mpg+

It is a 1.6 diesel, running at just less than 2000 revs / min, and hardly murmurs. Far better fuel consumption than my ex-Brava.

Chris

To access 3 & 4 - you have to get into the door itself?

There appear to be no screw heads / bolt heads accessible from the 'front of door' so to speak.

As previously stated - just need it sorting, and hopefully a good job done.

A shame as I like the car, and it certainly does not owe me much more, when doing 70mph down the motorway returning 55mpg+

It is a 1.6 diesel, running at just less than 2000 revs / min, and hardly murmurs. Far better fuel consumption than my ex-Brava.

Chris

Even if the trim panel has to come off I don't think it'll be a big deal to do, maybe they should get Ed 'rattle can' China to do it with a halfords aerosol!

Don't want it to come back and bite my a@@@.

Just want it solving now.....

Apparently there is a new C out next year - but .... comes at top dollar price.

Just like the luxury - especially on longer runs of decent seats and an enjoin' that purrs away, without too much stress.

Have done the Ed rattle tins, this time, its up to the dealer to do the job. 

Chris

Mine were replaced under warranty by the dealership. The job was an overnighter as they had to take the door panel off and other internal side panels.

I had to book it in again though as they did a poor job by staining one of the inner panels with oil, one of the rear door card panels was not clipped on properly, and the curtain air bag panel was loose and potentially dangerous.

Just make sure all internal panels look secure again.

Unfortunately am having to go back to the same dealership in Northampton again as I got outstanding issues and new issues popped up such as my heated driver side mirror not working, my rear wiper goes haywire when it rains and two of my windows have a mind of their own sometimes, again I think due to getting wet.

An 'Interesting dealership' - if its the one that has Jeepz stacked inside

They took time between my trips to move the coffee machine in the waiting area.

One wold think, that it should be a dealership expense - and not a punter gratuity box...

My fettling was signed off by the dealer who sold me the car.

A 30 year old dealership of trust, rests on the non-appearance of any further rust, a handshake deal to repair if it raises its ugly head again.

Penguin