Oh Dear Injector Hit By Piston (Yup!)

j0mpst0rt

Question

Hi

Me and my friend were trying to replace an injector in a 2.5CRD engine today.  We swapped one out from an old 3.3 and it seemed to work, but  when i drove around it gave a lot of smoke.  I can confirm the numbers on the top of the injector match to the old injector.  So not sure why the thick white smoke was coming out so much.  

So we decided to put the old one in with the metal circular copper thing joined to the bottom and the rubber seal which goes up about 1.5inches up the injector back on to the original one.

We put it in and when i turned the ignition on, i could heare a bang bang bang bang as i turned the car over, the engine ran,  but with the bang bang bang.

We stopped it, and said thats not right, so we took the injector out to find the end of the injector looked likeit had been hammered down presumably by the piston head.  Dont know why.  but I (my friend and I are still arguing over this).  think it was caused by the rubber seal around the bottom of the injector breaking before it got seated in the engine. so effectively there was no seal and therefore, the injector sunk by a tiny bit more than normal thus allowing the piston to hit the injector (can anyone confirm this is what happened)?  

so we decided to get yet another injector in that was working,  (i have 2 chrylsers, 1 for spare parts and the other for running with).  and when we put the new injector in, we found that  when i push the  ignition, nothing would happen, just a click' when you turn the key,   and hte engine seeming to 'lock' .

we pushed the ca r around in reverse and 2nd gear to check that the engine was still turning round... but we couldnt get it to start.

so we have my car not working and we not sure what to do.

can anyone sugest what action i should do next?  my friend is going to get a camera to use.  we are theorising that the valves may be damanaged, not sure how or why 

can someone expand or help us please ?

2 answers to this question

...you took an injector from a 3.3 (petrol) and tried to fit it on a 2.5 (diesel)?!?!

You pushed the car around, did you hear any compression, it could be piston rings loosing compression.

If indeed piston banged the injector, you could have a cracked piston.

Try turn it by hand from the crankshaft, if it doesn't spin the piston/s are sized, if it does spin but there is no compression is one or more piston rings.

If you have compression and the engine turns by hand OK, it could be that the different injector (not by appearance but by the inside parts set on different values) kicked in the auto shutdown?!

Hope it helps.

Edited by mikebh8