Rear Sliding Door Puller Mechanism

andyb2000

Question

Bear with me here, difficult to describe!

2005 2.8CRD grand voyager, rear sliding doors. The pulling-in mechanism seems to be struggling on my drivers side rear door.

This is the rear automatic sliding door.

It happened when a friend of my wifes decided to try and wrench the door open whilst it was doing its whirr-clunk close sequence and I suspect it's damaged the motor, so now if I signal it to close it pulls shut, then as it tries to whirr-clunk (to make the door flush with body) it fails, tries again a couple of times then gives up leaving the door slightly proud of the bodywork, so you then have to manually open and slam shut the door.

Any pointers on where to start looking? I believe this mechanism is at the rear of the door, but I'm not sure as wouldn't it need to be at the front and rear, and will it be something repairable, or needing to swap out the motor assembly that does this part of the sequence.

Sorry to be vague and wooly, if you know the right name for this please enlighten me!

Edited by andyb2000

3 answers to this question

Hiya pal, I believe it's called a sinch motor. Located at the back of the door, it turns the catch on the door to pull in on the hook on the body.

And only an idea how it makes it happen. But would guess it could be a replacement  - however I get the feeling that @@andyb2000 won't be defeated so easily hey!!!!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chrysler-voyager-RH-power-sliding-rear-door-latch-with-locking-sinch-motors/253222764672?hash=item3af540c080:g:-S4AAOSwvUlWr1Az

or 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chrysler-Grand-Voyager-Drivers-Motorised-Auto-Opening-Sliding-Door-Lock-01-07/263282489529?hash=item3d4cdbf8b9:g:tqgAAOSwQM9UY9wz

But for that money........

Edited by bignev

Hi Andy, with the door open, on the lower side of the door is a hinge( that goes from the door to the car), removing the plastic cover you will find the mechanism, it is interconnected with the motor and the latch, start from there.

I had this on one of my doors but honestly I can't remember how I fixed it...I know I didn't replace anything, so try to find a resetting method. It could be that the latching starts too soon when the closing motor didn't finish its sequence.

Hope it helps.

Edited by mikebh8

Hi both,

Thank you! Aha, Sinch motor that sounds familiar. I'd guessed they were going to be a little pricey so yep thought I'll have a bash myself, you're right Nev, I'll not be stopped by a thing like that!

Ta for the info Mike, will give that a look and rummage around in there, that's what I was thinking that I might be able to spot the damage, bent parts or whatever and use a little gentle persuasion to get it sorted!

Will update on how I get on.